Risk of buying a refurb Mac Book pro with bad video card?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by urbanskywalker, Oct 21, 2008.

1. urbanskywalker macrumors 6502

I'm looking at buying one of the refurb macBook Pro 2.4 ghz with the 8600 card. The only thing holding me back is the known issue with the video card. Does anyone know if the refurb will have the updated video card, or is it a crapshoot? What are the chances of it failing?

Thanks

2. slu macrumors 68000

slu

The chances of it failing are just as good as if you got a new one...meaning it all depends.

Refurbs are covered under the same warranty as new, so I would not worry. If you have a problem, Apple will take care of it.

I have purchased many refurbs from Apple and all have been great.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

If it was returned because it failed it will be replaced. With what who knows.

It will come with a one-year warranty so if the problem creeps up, you'll be covered.

4. esphil macrumors member

I went with the refurb, I'm not worried. You save alot of money from buying new for about the same specs, plus there is a warranty + the chance of buying more years with apple care.

5. minijon macrumors member

Apple has said on their support page that should the card fail within two years, they will repair it for free, Apple Care or not. Apple Care will buy you another year of coverage.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377