Risk of buying iPhone 5 off chinese gold farmer/reseller off Craigslist?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lawlbringer, Sep 25, 2012.

1. lawlbringer, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

lawlbringer macrumors regular

I'm seeing several iPhone 5's on craigslist in the DC metro area and most are going for $100-200 over retail outright price.

My biggest concern is, if it's sealed in box directly from an Apple store - is it safe to activate without going through the activation hassle? I really don't want to have to swap sims/etc.

Also, with "scuffgate" still in full swing, "sealed in box" will net them the most profit...so you can't really see if the phone is physically damaged or not.

Also, how are these guys getting all these iPhones? I've been calling around and these dudes somehow snag 4-5 at a time to resell.

2. mateo124 macrumors regular

I highly recommend against getting one from a non-authorized retailer. There could be a problem with it and it would all lead back to the person who bought it. On top of that, if you decided to pay $150-$200 more then retail then you are just plain dumb. Just wait a few weeks for the factory unlocked versions.

3. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Given that some buyers have had cosmetic and other issues, buying from Craigslist will give you no security whatsoever. Plus you can easily get scammed. :mad:

4. lawlbringer thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I figured, I just wish there weren't so many damn resellers in Northern VA...maybe we'd be able to get a damn new phone.