RJ Reynolds told to pay wife of cancer victim $23.6bn

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kolax, Jul 20, 2014.

1. kolax macrumors G3

Via the BBC: A US court has ordered the country's second largest cigarette company to pay $23.6 billion (£13.8bn) to the wife of a smoker who died of lung cancer.

I'm struggling to understand what the judge is thinking awarding so much - am I missing something?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

It will almost certainly be reduced on appeal, probably by at least that thousand-fold.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Anyone who smoked after 1966 when cigerettes were required to label their packaging as hazardous should be on their own imo unless they can prove second hand smoke caused the issue.

If you are lighting up for 30 years after knowing something is hazardous then its your own fault.

5. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

EXACTLY, everyone has known smoking is bad for a while, the guy was smoking on the day he died.

6. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

As a smoker I agree that no one is at fault but the man himself. I know exactly what it can do to me, yet I chose to do it, just like he did.

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

I saw this story yesterday and just giggled. How could anyone think that award amount was even close to reasonable? She'll probably end up with a few million. She'll be happy, RJ Reynolds won't even notice the missing pocket change, and life will go on.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

All of these companies should be brought up on murder charges as that is what they are doing to their customers.

I don't care if they say, well people know smoking is bad but they do it anyways. It doesn't matter. Sell something addictive with the intent to kill them you should be held responsible.

9. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

A few notes:

1. The jury came up with the figure, not the judge.

2. Remittitur.

3. Compensatory damages are likely to be reduced as well.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

tobacco, you mean?

12. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

You know to have to die in order for your family to sue, rght?

13. Martin29 macrumors 6502

Martin29

Exactly.

If you or I were to do something which we knew to be likely to cause illness and death to one person, let alone millions, we'd rightly be be facing a judge and jury.

For too many years these giant companies have been given a licence to kill, and in my view every single penny they ever made in profit should be awarded to their victims.

Of course it won't happen because our governments are complicit. There's too many billions in tax revenue at stake!

14. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

You're forgetting that tobacco is a highly addictive substance. Far more addictive than marijuana.

15. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Please, only a weak willed person could not stop smoking, even with tobacco being addictive.

It almost always comes down to the person not truly wanting to quit. I would guess that everyone that smokes knows they should quit but say they "can't". What they really meant to say was they "won't/don't want to".

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

In my opinion the tobacco industry amounts to organised crime - they intentionally sell a psychoactive drug that is known to be dangerous. Thus, on the one hand this judgement seems excessive if the life of one person is considered. On the hand, it is not as though the tobacco companies did not know they were selling a potentially lethal product.

Smoking has a higher relapse rate during attempted abstinence than taking heroin. If you think that your behaviour is solely determined by your 'will', then there are a few psychologists you should know about. We can start with a guy named Pavlov....

17. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Source, mostly because I am interested in reading it.

I understand the psychology behind it, and the effects it can have on a person. I still think it comes down to will power and a person truly wanting to quit.

egics are a better alternative and are at least healthier for everyone around the smoker as there is no second hand smoke. It can also be cheaper from what I understand.

18. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I believe there is precedent that punitive damages shouldn't exceed compensatory damages by more than 10-1, and the compensatory damages are much lower so that much won't be paid out.

19. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

I second this. I quit cigarettes for a couple years, than out of stupidity went to cheap cigars. Now I've been "vaping" for over four months and I've had no desire to go back to anything I have to light on fire.

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Details.....

21. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Same here, except it's been 5 years for me. I was firmly in the "don't want to quit, even though it's killing me" camp as I really enjoyed smoking. I started using e-cigs as a way of enjoying nicotine, which is about as "harmful" as caffeine (source: http://tobaccoharmreduction.org/faq/nicotine.htm ) without polluting the air for people around me and since then my health has improved massively and I have seen no reason to stop the e-cigs :)

22. samiwas macrumors 65816

I just want to make sure I have the gist of this thread down...

Cigarettes kill people and the companies who manufacture them should be brought up on murder charges?

Is that about right?

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Yes.

When looking at stories like this one, its important to take into account the source.

In this case, it is the (normally reliable) BBC. But in this particular instance there is something of a disconnect. In Britain, damages are determined by Judges. A compensation award made by a High Court in Britain is a very, very different "fact" than a Judgement from a Florida personal injury jury.

I think most Americans understand this (we are pretty much immune to the "shock" of an outrageous liability award) - so be careful when reading stories about things going on in the US from a source based in Britain.

24. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

I take it you have no clue what a chemical addiction does to a brain, right?

25. VulchR, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

One source, although there are many, is The Health Consequences Of Smoking, which was written by the US Surgeon General in 1988. On page 314 work on relapse/abstinence rates is cited that shows that the proportion of people who avoid relapse is lower at 3 and 6 months of abstinence for smokers than heroin users and alcoholics (see Figure 2). However, I admit the the relapse rate for smoking, heroin and alcohol are nearly the same even if smoking has greatest likelihood of relapse.

As for will power, addictive drugs all affect dopamine neurons in the midbrain. The same dopamine neurons can be seen in all mammals and even in other 'lower' vertebrates (heck, there are even dopamine neurons in insects). I seriously doubt that your forebrain, which seems to be necessary and sufficient for acts of will, can do bugger all about controlling the midbrain. We all go through our life desperately clinging to the idea that our will determines our behaviour. 'I did because I chose to.' or some such nonsense. Well, it simply ain't always so, and indeed what we call 'will' is often a post-hoc confabulation that rationalises behaviour we truly do not understand. The reason why it is important to understand that not all behaviour is willed is that it might make us less judgemental of addicts.