RMA'd 3 year old Raptor 150gb... just got a replacement 150 VelociRaptor 150!! Whaaat

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sean Dempsey, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

My Raptor boot drive of 3 years went out a week ago. 5 year warranty, so I sent it in on an RMA, knowing I was getting an SSD to replace it. I didn't really know what to do with the Raptor, since it was sort of old tech. I just opened the package from Western Digital:

150 GB VelociRaptor. Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?

I was expecting to get a Raptor back, but a 150gig VR is a pretty serious upgrade. I already replaced my system drive with a 60gig SSD, so now I don't know where I should use this drive. Seems like a waste to not throw it in the Mac Pro... or maybe use it in my MacBook Pro now as a system drive?

Is there a pretty big boost from the 3.5" Raptor 150 to a 2.5" VelociRaptor 150? It came in the cool little tray adapter, so hopefully this is the one that fits in the Mac Pro slot.

Very good of Western Digital to give me a VR instead of just finding an old warehoused Raptor to send me. I'm pretty pumped to try this baby out!!!

2. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Hah, nice! I'd love to have that in my MacBook Pro. Yeah, I'm jealous.

It would be great even as a scratch disk, wouldn't it, b/c you wouldn't have to worry about amount of writes like you do with the SSD. So you'd have best of both worlds: SSD boot and super-fast scratch.

3. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Does it fit in a 17" MBP? The actual drive seems pretty thick. I am debating on if I can survive on 150gigs on the laptop. I have it in the Mac Pro right now (just rebooted). It did come "Mac Pro compatible" with the SATA port.

It's like christmas, only dad isn't drunk.

4. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I told you western digital is amazing with rma's I only buy their stuff with 5 year warranty hoping for a 4th year breakdown. you get a new upgrade like everytime. well 5 for 5 and they only charge 7 bucks for shipping it back to them.

5. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

And it doesn't make that godawful noise the Raptor did.

I think I might need to switch to some new WD Black Caviars for my data now, I was debating replacing the old Seagates.

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

That seems like a respectable decision. Caviar Blacks are very capable drives. Especially if you have some "old" drives in it now, you might want to look into replacing/upgrading them. But me, I try to only buy Seagates, because of a bad experience I had with WD drives. But, after reading this, I am reconsidering that decision.

7. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I had "click of death" Western Digitals back in the day when a 20gig drive was standard, and switched to Seagate for the last 7-8 years. But the Raptor held out for 3 years of 24/7 use (never slept, never off), and The 7200rpm drives I have are Seagate 320gb's, which do get a little full.

Now, I am replacing a 320gb Seagate with the VR for my work files, and prob gonna grab a Caviar Black to replace the other 320gb Seagate for personal files. And then another to replace a 3 year old 1TB Hitachi "DeathStar". Might as well start fresh with bigger, faster, newer drives with 5 year warranties.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah, my 300GB VelociRaptor died 3 days ago and they are sending me a replacement as well. Of course they shipped to the wrong address as well, but I can fix that. Maybe they'll send me a updated model? :D

And I'm pretty sure the 2.5" drive is 15mm, so it won't fit in your laptop.

9. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

WD are great. Back in 2002 I had a 150gb WD firewirse drive that died and they replaced it with a 250gb drive. Which I felt balanced out the rebate I failed to mail in on time...