rMB ships with charge cable the length of iPads!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ct1211, Apr 9, 2015.

1. ct1211 macrumors 6502

I'm sure this is covered elsewhere, I am blown away that Apple would ship a $1,300 computer with a charge cable as long as the stubble you get with an iPad!

Quote from Arstechnica review:

"The difference is that the MacBook doesn’t come with the longer cord that other MacBooks include. Like an iPad, all you get is the stumpy little plug that sits flush with the rest of the adapter"

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Apple is really nickel and diming their customers by doing things like this and not including a free adapter with what most agree is an overpriced device to begin with.

3. legioxi macrumors 6502a

I'm not too worried about it, I have extra of the cables they aren't shipping it with due to the laptops I've owned over the years. Finally will have a use for one.

4. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I don't know why I didn't realise you can just use a different laptops extension cable. I have a few of those too so it's good to know I don't have to spend even more on cables.

5. ct1211 thread starter macrumors 6502

Except I believe the review said it is a fixed head ala iPad. The iPad adaptor does not have a removable head for adding the extensions.

6. Bleh5 macrumors regular

The iPad charger's head is removable.

7. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

8. newellj macrumors 601

9. ct1211 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep. I had not looked at accessories yet. I also discovered if I used for travel and presentations I would need both the VGA and full size HDMI Dongles. $160.00 ++ in accessories out of the gate. USB-C came at perfect time for Apple! iPad owners won't be sharing Dongles with the rMB!

10. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Including the long card would make the packaging larger. I'm sure the idea is a really thin box for a really thin notebook. Plus it saves money.

11. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Are you misinterpreting? The included cord is 2m. The iPad is half that. They seem to be talking about the adapter to wall extension other MacBooks include.

12. hova macrumors member

2 meter should be okay for most people but the good thing is a few months from now you can probably get a cheaper, longer and more durable USB-C cable for less money than what Apple sells.

13. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

It saves them money. They're already making a lot of money on this device. Are you telling me people actually willing to sacrifice an extension for the charger just to have a smaller box?

Stop making excuses for Apple. They're just being cheap.

14. newellj macrumors 601

Without disagreeing, I wonder how many people actually use the extended AC (mains) cable? I don't see them very often.

15. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I use them at home and I keep one in my bag for whenever I need it. I haven't really paid attention to this but I will keep an eye out.

16. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

For my rMBP, I keep one adapter at home with the extended cable attached, and I keep a second adapter in my bag without the extended cable. I'll be buying an extra adapter for the Macbook, so I'll just use one of my left over extenders for the adapter I keep at home (if it's compatible.)

17. newellj macrumors 601

Yes. I have three, but only one has the mains extension cable attached. The other two are in a drawer...somewhere... :rolleyes:

18. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Who said I was making excuses for them? READ. I don't endorse the idea, nor did I ever mention people were willing to sacrifice for anything, just presented it as logical for them. Read before you jump, you look less the fool that way.

19. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

I sure hope the cable durability is much better than the iPad's. If not, then these cables are gonna be worthless after a Month's use.

20. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Wrong. The iPad charger block absolutely does have removable head.

21. technosix macrumors 6502a

It never ceases to amaze me how according to the legions of Apple Excuse Makers, Apple can do no wrong no matter what the price is to the consumer.

I'd wager these same devotees certainly don't brag about how much money their banks make off them.

It's as though Apple shares the profit with them.

It is indeed Cult Like Behavior.

SMH

----------

One month at best

22. ct1211 thread starter macrumors 6502

Um, I corrected that hours ago. Actually someone pointed it out and I commented on that. but at least you got to say "Wrong" so theres that.

23. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

This would be a perfect place for you to grow some thicker skin. SMFH

24. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

That thing can make a big difference when buying such a lightweight laptop. It probably weighs almost a pound. The laptop probably doesn't come with it for the same reason the iPad doesn't. This laptop is meant to be mobile, not docked somewhere most of the time.

25. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

and when you want to charge it? Say the socket isn't that close to you? the thing you're saying makes a "big difference" is actually just a cable which weighs less than the power brick. Maybe they should have left out the power brick too.