rMBP 15" 2012 all of a sudden slow!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carljohnston28, Mar 12, 2014.

1. carljohnston28 macrumors member

I tried all the fixes I could find online, SMC Update, PRAM reset..

Some small improvements, but I still can't run games that I should be able to and still seeing overall lag.

Anyone had this problem/found a solution to it?

2. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

How much free space does your SSD currently have? You should have ~10-20% free at any given time when using an SSD. If you don't have enough space, either migrate unnecessary data to another drive, or delete data from your SSD.

Depending on your normal computer usage, you could also be utilizing all of you RAM, but i doubt this is the case. However, if you have only 8GB of RAM and you run another OS such as Windows side by side, you may very well have utilized all of your RAM.

3. carljohnston28 thread starter macrumors member

Hey there,

I have 50gb free right now on a 256gb SSD. :(

Honestly, the thing can't even keep up with typing in chat or chrome sometimes when not much is running. :(

I don't run parallels at all.

Quite frustrating.. I am going to continue searching, if I do find anything I will post back here!

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Look in Activity Monitor - what is the cpu spending time doing?

Computers don't run "slow", it is just the cpu spending time doing something you don't want or realize.

5. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Is your fan running at full speed? If yes then it can be a failed temperature sensor. Anyways i would do a apple hardware test.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Use the activity monitor to see if there's anything consuming cpu cycles, also consider doing a fresh install of OSX (after backing up your system). Was there any apps you installed or updated recently?