rMBP 15" (Late 2013) and LG UltraFine 5K

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mixart, Feb 25, 2017.

1. mixart macrumors member

I'm thinking about upgrade my Macbook Pro 15" Late 2013 to the new Macbook Pro 2017, when it is coming. Rumors are said that it will have 32GB memory and I want that. For now I want a bigger screen and I'm interest in the LG UltraFine 5K.

Anyone tried this monitor on the Macbook Pro 15" late 2013? Is it possible to drive it at 4K 60Hz until I get my new Macbook Pro later this year, så I can use it at 5K resolution?

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Without experience to confirm, I'd say yes. I've definitely heard of people running it with that model, though I'm not exactly sure of what resolution and refresh rate they got. I've heard however that OS X/macOS will falsely report it's running at 5k sometimes, even when connected to machines that can't drive 5k over one cable

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

By the time the 2017 (or 2018) comes out there will probably be better monitor choices and prices available.

4. mixart thread starter macrumors member

I have considering that too. I just want a bigger screen for graphic design and I dont know if I can wait that long. Then I should buy a used Apple Cinema Thunderbolt 27".

5. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Then what @casperes1996 says applies. You should be able to use the 5K with your current computer at a reduced resolution, people suppose. I don't think anyone running it from a 2013 ever checked to confirm that it was only 4K, but that's what the specs would suggest. There's a thread about that here somewhere, back a few weeks ago. Don't know what search terms would dig it up, though.

6. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

If you are considering the Apple Cinema Display, have you considered something like this? or this? You could be rockin' dual 4ks for less than a single 5, and by the time you upgrade, 5k could be a lot cheaper (and my wild fantasy is that Apple teams with a Maker to produce a 5k display that is capable of charging the new generation iPhone wirelessly...)