Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pscl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
hi

every once in a while when my mbp cant connect to my nas drive... i have to turn off wifi, and back on then everything works fine again. what is this? am i having a hardware problem?

same problem appears when im trying to print something over wlan (wlan printer)... it cant find the printer, wifi off, wifi on, tadaaaa printer found.

what is this?

i read that maybe bluetooth is the problem? i need bluetooth cause of my keyboard.

any solutions?

timmyj

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
yeah seems to be a common issue

we have 2 rmbp late 2013 in our household, along with an airport extreme,

the late 2013 is constantly dropping connection, especially when resuming from sleep

the ac connection is essentially unusable for streaming video as the latency just seems to spike really high at random intervals (while using 802.11g or just 2.4GHz 802.11n the WiFi seems to behave a lot more consistently)

all older macs (w/o the ac chipset) work perfectly fine

the weird thing is the status bar always says connected and the network utility has an ip address assignment but no data flows without changing wifi networks or resetting the adapter,
i would say that on average I'm resetting the adapter 50-100 times per day

I'm hoping that broadcom/apple are working on some improved firmware and drivers as this is really the only issue I'm having with this almost perfect machine

i've read people in the apple forums going into the apple store and trying out all the display machines and the similar, latency spikes and general connection instability seems to be reproducible on all devices with the broadcom 802.11ac adapter (bcm436x)

it is probably more stable under windows/boot camp still with some issues, but i hear under linux the WiFi works quite well although i am yet to try for myself

Last edited:

pscl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
good to hear...

im sure this is a software problem... maybe a fix will help. lets wait. :(

thank you guys

Playgear

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
And I thought I was the only one that had this issue.

*mops brow in relief*

Nope, you're not alone. There's a few (quite long) threads about it on Apple's official discussion forums.

I'm really hanging out for 10.9.2 for a potential fix before I go to the Genius Bar and get them to hardware test my card.

This is driving me absolutely ******** mental now. Sometimes after sleep it's so bad that only a reboot fixes it... :mad:

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I had similar problems with my 13" late 2013 rMBP - traffic on the Internet would stop loading, though the wifi was still connected and I was able to visit my router's admin console. Drove me nuts.
Fixed once and for all with Repair Disk Permissions.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It was reported back when Mavericks was in beta, that it was dropping wifi pretty regularly, perhaps that bug was not fully corrected yet.

FWIW, I don't seem to have that issue with my 2012 rMBP

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I noticed the same thing as well.

I also seem to get generally worse connection than on my old 2010 MBP. Oddly enough when I plug in a USB 3.0 device (just a hub) on the left my Transmitrate drops quite a bit. The RSSI and SNR is usually just the same with no indication why Trate drops to 5 and often 2,1. When it usually runs at 11 fine and sometimes 18 (74-80/92). It is still 802.11g but it seems to have some issues. I got 6Mbit internet so all I need is 11.
Usually when my old 2010 dropped lower the rssi and snr values showed why.

I always have Bluetooth off, ergo I doubt that any wifi issues have to do with that.

I think the way OSX pretens wifi is fine when it really isn't annoys me a lot. If I get a Trate of 1 it often shows full bars while Trate 5 usually shows one bar less and 11 does it so and so. Why don't they show the bars according to the transmitrate you are actually getting.
Like on g 54 is full, 18 is one less and so on. 1,2 is the last dot only.
On n,ac whatever fits there.
I have a stable (full black bars) connection at 1Mbit - brilliant. :(
I always have to option check to see whether some server is slow or my wifi is the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.