rMBP 15" Trade in and opinion on 2.5k

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yougg, Feb 27, 2014.

  1. Yougg macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2013
    #1
    Hi guys,

    I'm looking for some help here, I ordered an rMBP 15" this week (got shipped today). Its the base model with the CPU upgrade to 2.3, but now I have some concerns and I think I might be better off with the "2.5k" model, in regards to the SSD space and RAM. Lets say I was to sell it 2 years from now, would I get back a good portion of the 400$ more I'd be investing on it ?


    And if I was to do that, do I have to wait for the rMBP I already ordered to come in for me to trade it in, or can I go directly to my local Apple store and they can cancel the order/trade it in for me for the higher version ?

    Thanks for the help it is much appreciated and pardon my poor english please, I am kinda french ;)
     
  2. Robster3 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2012
    #2
    I think all you can do once it is shipped is either refuse delivery, or accept delivery then do a return and they will pick it up. Best to don't accept delivery. Ring Apple they will tell you that. You will have to wait till they get it back for a refund though.

    If it was me buying now i would spend the $400 for the bigger model, i got a base model a year ago and should of got the bigger.
     
  3. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2013
    #3
    Don't think of this as an investment. But the computer you need and use it for as long as it meets your needs.

    If you need the RAM and disk space, go for it. However, in two years I doubt the selling value between the two tiers will be much different. Expecting it to 'balance out' when you sell it isn't a winning strategy.
     
  4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

    davidjearly

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2006
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #4
    This. You don't need any other opinions. Buying more with the hope of retaining a higher value years down the line is a false economy. Buy what you need, and not a penny more. :)
     
  5. rex450se macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2011
    Location:
    Independence, MO
    #5
    I think you will have a better chance of selling and recouping the $400 difference then selling the lower spec'd one. My thoughts on it are that we don't know what coming next. OS or program wise. What if not the next upgrade but the one after that needs a minimum of 8 GB of Ram or programs that need a minimum of more than that. If you were looking at buying a used machine right now you don't have to look at the spec's it has but what can it take. It may have only 4 GB but can take 16 GB, like a 2011 model for example. Unfortunately, since ours can't be upgraded, if you know you are going to sell it in a couple or few years it would be nice to know what people will need then and what will be in demand. But we don't so I think the best way to somewhat help yourself would be to get the bigger one. 8GB is average now, what's it going to be in a couple years? 16 is more than enough today, maybe it will be perfect in a couple years. Just my .02.

    Victor
     
  6. Yougg thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2013
    #6
    Thank you very much guys, I'll be trading in my rMBP and go get the 2.5k version as I will need it anyways :)

    I heard this is something Apple is quite alright with, right ? The product probably wont be opened at all anyways
     
  7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2011
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #7
    We can take a look at the refurbished market, which is the most any sane person should pay for a used mac.

    base $2k model: $1700, $300 loss
    high end $2.6k model: $2200, $400 loss

    so already at this point you loose an extra $100... unless you get education pricing, then it is about the same.

    In general I think that most used buyers are looking for an affordable entry level machine, so they are probably less likely to pay a premium for upgrades.
     

Share This Page