rMBP 256GB HDD and big NAS or 512HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparkydale, Oct 22, 2013.

1. sparkydale macrumors newbie

Right, I need to buy a new 13" MBP and it looks like I'm forced down the rMBP route (you're twisting my arm here),

so it looks like the scale is 4GB ram>8GB ram and then 128>256>512GB HDD. (Ignoring the processor bump on the top end because that can be upped at order for £80).

The question is should I go for 256 and a big NAS or 512? I'm replacing an upgraded (4GB ram and 500GB HDD) unibody Macbook (so have had this for nearly 5 years) so want it to be pretty much future proof.

Please and thank you

2. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

What are you going to use it for?

How much space are you using on your current 500 GB HDD?

Without having any idea of how you are going to use your computer, it's hard to give advise...

If you do a lot of photo/video editing, but only when you are at your home/office plugged into an external monitor and NAS, and you only use 120 GB on your current 500 GB HDD, then 256 GB SSD should be enough.

If you keep filling your 500 GB HDD with videos that you want to have access to while you are traveling, then the 512 GB SSD sounds like a good idea.

Keep in mind that right now, it's impossible to replace the PCIe SSDs that come in any of this year's Haswell MacBooks. Hopefully they will become available in the future and you can swap in a larger one, but as far as I know, you can't even buy PCIe SSDs that fit these computers yet.