rMBP and external monitor with or w/o the 750m Graphics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bradonf333, Oct 7, 2014.

1. bradonf333 macrumors newbie

If I wanted to get a rMBP and planned on using an external monitor when at home, how big of a difference will the 750m graphics be? I read in the forum that hooking up an external monitor kicks the 750m card on, but then also read some people only had the Iris pro and it worked fine, the macbook just got a little hotter than w/o the monitor. How much difference would the 750m rMBP make over the Iris pro?

2. MacTCE macrumors 6502

I think the real question is what are you doing graphically with it? The reason I ask is that I have a 13" rMBP and connect two external monitors (each 27") to it thus giving me three screens. I'm not doing any heavy duty video work on it like I do with my Mac Pro, but having multiple windows open across all three screens has never given me a problem.

3. bradonf333 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would not be doing any video editing. I guess graphically I would not be doing anything besides day to day stuff. I am currently going to school and have started programming alot. Occasionally I use photoshop, but only once a week for maybe an hour at the most. I usually have 3 or 4 safari tabs open while I am programming. That's about the extent of day to day use with some file transfers here and there.

4. MacTCE macrumors 6502

Then you shouldn't have and issue with the Iris only MBP.

5. bradonf333 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. Thanks!

6. MacTCE macrumors 6502

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The Iris Pro is a really good iGPU and it will be fine for what you post. The dGPU is hardwired into the display port/thunderbolt port so you can only use the dGPU when connecting to an external display.

Given Apple's track record for discrete GPUs (failures in the 2008, 2010, 2011 models), I'd stick with the iGPU

8. MacTCE macrumors 6502

That's good advice.