rMBP as a monitor.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by taelan28, Mar 7, 2015.

1. taelan28 macrumors regular

I sold my TV a few days ago because Im moving. Now in my down time Im jonesin for some Ninja Gaiden II. Can I hook up my 360 to the rMBP and get it to work?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you can't.

3. taelan28 thread starter macrumors regular

4. someoneoutthere macrumors regular

Unfortunately you can't, and the reason being is that the HDMI ports on these devices are "OUT" only. Which means that you could only OUTSOURCE your current screen display to an external monitor/tv/projector BUT it wouldn't accept/recognize any INCOMING signal.

5. Woochoo macrumors 6502

Not by the HDMI (and maybe there's no solution for his situation with 360) but I'm curious if there could be any "trick" trhough thunderbolt as it can drive displays and is a bidirectional bus with a high throughput. Of course it would require some hacks & software, but might it be possible?

6. psingh01 macrumors 65816

you might be able to through some usb tv tuner but these usually have a signal delay that make playing games difficult. you are better off just buying a cheap tv for under $100 (what the tuner might cost you anyway).

only laptop that i know has hdmi input are the alienware gaming laptops.

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Yeah, you would need to get a USB video-in adapter. Ones with low signal delay are not cheap, and a TV would still be better. However, Xbox one and windows 10 are suppose to allow streaming, so a boot camp install of windows 10 when it is released and an Xbox one, both on the same network, could make this setup work.

8. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Yeah, a small, very cheap TV might be perfect for your needs. If all you are going to be doing is sitting in a bare flat/house waiting for your move date, it could be the best purchase you have ever made!

If small enough, you could take it with you, or become the best friend of the new owner/tenant...