rMBP - audio goes through receiver to TV, but not to stereo speakers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shoelessone, Oct 16, 2013.

1. shoelessone macrumors 6502

Hello!

First, I honestly can't believe how much of an idiot I feel like for not being able to figure this out.

Second, here is the basic problem:

I have my MacBook Pro (retina) hooked up via HDMI to a Marantz receiver. The reciever is hooked up directly to two speakers, and then again through HDMI to the TV.

With most things I have hooked up to the TV, including the Apple TV, plays audio through the receiver and then through the speakers (as I'd like to have happen). But, recently (or possibly always, I don't even remember), the audio from my MacBook Pro goes from the laptop, to the speakers, and then passes directly through to the TV.

Long story short, the audio from my laptop plays on the TV, and doesn't play on the speakers I have hooked up to the receiver.

Am I doing something wrong?

Again, the audio is going TO the receiver (I have the receiver chosen as the output from the audio options), it's just "skipping" the speakers I want and going straight to the TV audio.

Any tips would be VERY much appreciated.

<3

2. chabig macrumors 68040

You're probably going to have to dig into the Marantz manual.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I would also try with different audio formats in MIDI Setup app:
    [​IMG]

4. shoelessone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, I'll check out the manual (though sadly, if iifc the manually is very thin on any sort of helpful details), and also check the MIDI controls (not exactly sure what I might be checking, but I'll change things and hope they start working :)).

Any other thoughts or anybody else with any similar experiences?

I've googled, but basically everything I've been able to find has been an issue where NO sound was making it to the TV, not the issue of the receiver passing the sound through the hdmi to the tv instead of playing it on the receiver's stereo speakers themselves.

<3

5. priitv8, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

priitv8 macrumors 68020

You shall change the values on Format line (ie Sample rate & bit depth).

I must have misunderstood you. Basically you get the sound from TV speakers, instead of receiver's speakers (meaning also, sound circumvents receiver's surround decoder)? In that case you have sound routing problem within your receiver. Check if Marantz has full user guide available online.
    It should be possible to route sound into receiver's internal processing, esp if it's an AV receiver (having surround decoder).

PS E.g. on a Sony receiver, there's a "HDMI Settings menu", which has the control "HDMI Audio Out" that lets you set where the HDMI audio signals from the playback equipment connected to the receiver via an HDMI connection get output. You can choose between:
    AMP: The HDMI audio signals from the playback equipment are only output to the speakers connected to the receiver.
    TV+AMP: The sound is output from TV’s speaker and the speakers connected to the receiver.

I'd imagine, the Marantz receiver exhibits similar configuration options.

6. alex0527 macrumors newbie

you just need to connect an audio cable from TV AUDIO OUT going back to receiver.... like fiber optical audio cable or 3.5mm audio cable...

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

There should be no need for that, the receiver should be playing the sound. I'm guessing the OP needs to play around in his receiver's HDMI sound settings.