rMBP battery goes from 8 to 4 hours after trip to Europe 220v

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RichardF, Feb 16, 2014.

1. RichardF, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014

RichardF macrumors 6502a

RichardF

I had already experienced this in the past with a 2012 MBA but thought nothing of it.

This time, one month old MBPr goes with me to Europe where I charged it and used on 220v with the original Apple charger.
    It killed the battery performance now that I am back home (NYC). I was getting 6-8 hours from a fully charged battery and only get about 4 now.

What gives?

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Are you actually getting that much battery life or is that just your estimated battery life?

3. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

I go back and forth between the US and EU with my 13" rMBP with no issues. I would check to see if there are some processes causing the CPU to not idle.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I've gone back and forth without issues multiple times, I'm thinking you have some other problem that just happened to coincide with your trip.

5. NukeIT macrumors regular

The Output of the tranformer/rectifier remains constant vs the input voltage. So if you have any issue it would be with the transformer and not the battery

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

7. RichardF, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014

RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

Thanks guys.

I could feel that buzz in the tips of my fingers when touching the case, even after trying several outlets. I guess they were not properly grounded.
    Or it could be the US/ French prongs adapter I was using:

[​IMG]

So I feared this might damaged the computer/ battery.
    Will try the SMC reset and keep an eye on it.

What I mentioned were the estimated numbers form the status bar. But in actual use, I have gotten 6 hours out of it routinely before the trip. I was impressed.
    *check to see if somehow Flash found its way into Mac OS X...*

:)

8. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

The 'buzz' is a leakage current from the Apple power-supply - from the radio frequency interference suppression devices. It is a tiny current - floating at half the supply voltage = in EU = 230/2 = 115V RMS (average) but actually up-to 163 Volts peak as 230V RMS is alternating from +325V to -325V 50 times a second; and the leakage current is typically of the order of 700 nanoamps, but could get up to a few milliamps.

The good news from your MBP's point of view is that even in this poorly earthed situation - the entire laptop is 'floating' at this leakage voltage, all components are floating as the leakage AC is imposed on the entire system frame of reference, including you sometimes!. Your body resistance will tend to provide a high impedence discharge path & trigger your finger tip nerves, but within fairly safe & reasonable parameters.

In decades of having this same buzz problem in Italy, due to different cable groundings, I've never yet been able to damage a battery.

I've had 2 Kindles scrambled however by Airport Security X-Rays, replaced quickly by Amazon when I described the failure I've definitely had SMC problems from time to time with Apple MBP batteries, in the past.

9. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

Wonderful post: thank you for the explanation.

As a side question: do the x ray machines constitute a potentiel for damage to a device even if it is turned off? I always turn off my laptops when traveling.

More info: I tried to recall when I have done with the machine while overseas.
    I installed a couple of elGato software: Video Capture and EyeTV.
    Also installed Flash Player... arrrghhh, I know....
    I removed all 3 this AM, repaired permissions, did a SMC reset and will now monitor battery life and update here.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help.

10. NukeIT macrumors regular

No.

11. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

Update guys: I am not getting about 5 hours of use.
    It feels it hasn't gone back to the out-of-the-box autonomy I enjoyed but maybe it's just in head.

12. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

2 prongs = can't be grounded.

13. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Out here we have around 220-240v i never found a difference using it here or when i travel to countries with 110v neither had any xrays damage any gadgets.