RMBP: Close lid, apple logo stays lit, Lion freezes.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by psynnott, Jun 28, 2012.

1. psynnott, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

I have an issue with the RMBP and sleeping when the lid is closed.
    When I close the lid, the apple logo stays lit. I've tried waiting 30 or so seconds, but still it stays lit. I open it, and I see a mouse cursor on a black screen. I can move the cursor, but that's it. I have to hold in the power button to force a shutdown/restart.

I tried many things last night in an effort to fix this:
    • Uninstalled Parallels (properly, using the uninstaller)
    • Uninstalled FanSpeed Control, then deleted the related Daemon files in LaunchStartup (think thats the name). This fixed a repeating error message in Console every few seconds.
    • Shut down a battery monitor program, gfxstatus, Dropbox, and a window magnet (snap to side) program that were running in the menubar.
    • Closed all applications running in Dock
    • Reset Energy Saver settings back to default
    • Tried the pmsg -g command or whatever it is to see if anything is preventing sleep. Nothing listed, and Prevent sleep was 0.
    • Reset the SMC

But yet, the thing still locks up and won't sleep. I can't see anything obvious running in Activity Monitor.

I tried logging in as the wife's user account and it sleeps fine when I close the lid! I don't understand why her account sleeps fine (without even closing any menubar apps) while mine, with every app closed, still wont sleep.

Any ideas? Do I need to wipe the whole machine just to fix this?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the whole Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

3. psynnott thread starter macrumors 6502

psynnott

Will do as soon as I get home - in work atm and was hoping for a list of things to try later :)

4. shthap3ns macrumors newbie

I actually have the same problem, I've only recently got my MBP but it has happened twice. The first time the entire screen froze and I couldn't move the mouse. The second time it wouldn't go to sleep, so I manually put it to sleep and shut the lid. When I opened it back up several hours later it had a glitchy, static screen.

The difference is that I'm running Mountain Lion DP4.

Also trying to figure this out, will update if I find anything.

5. alyshehata macrumors member

I read somewhere that gfxstatus causes this problem. Try uninstalling it and see if it works. Buying a retina in a month, so I cant test ^^

6. psynnott thread starter macrumors 6502

psynnott

Argh, forgot to mention that in my list (will update). Yes, I have that, but I quit out of it before doing another close lid test. Maybe something is still running in the background? Will try that later.

To be honest, I'm leaning towards a full format and only putting on app-store apps. No more gfxstatus etc. Opinions? Is that the best way to keep my shiny macbook pro running smoothly? ;/

7. psynnott thread starter macrumors 6502

psynnott

UPDATE: gfxcardstatus was doing it! uninstalled and everything ok now:D

8. tusctodd macrumors member

The first beta release of gfxcardstatus worked. However, when the updater recently updated it to the latest version, I also had lockup problems.

I removed it and it cleared up my problem as well.

Hopefully they fix this soon.