rMBP: Editing video in iMovie, editing photos in Aperture - using Intel HD 4000 GPU?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spaceballl, Oct 26, 2012.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hi all,

I'm editing photos / videos from my recent trip, and things seemed sluggish. I took a look at iStat to see what was going on, and I was surprised to see the Intel HD Graphics 4000 as the GPU being used... how come? Thoughts? I would assume that iMovie / Aperture, especially when plugged into a power source, would trigger the dedicated graphics.

2. switon, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

switon macrumors 6502a

RE: iMovie and Aperture and dGPU...

Hi spaceball,

Just to let you know, I just tried both iMovie and Aperture, both on AC power and battery, and in all cases the GPU switched from the integrated to the discrete GPU when running iMovie and Aperture, and then switched back to the integrated GPU after closing iMovie and Aperture. These tests were done on a rMBP running 10.8.2.

Switon

P.S. I'm sure you have already done this, but it's just a thought ... In the System Preferences -> Energy Saver pane, verify that the Automatic Graphics Switching box is checked. Do you use gfxCardStatus, and, if so, is it set to allow dynamic switching?