RMBP Exchange/Repair? Disappointed with AppleCare.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bioyuki, Jun 27, 2012.

  1. bioyuki macrumors member

    Jun 12, 2012
    What is Apple's normal process for repairs and exchanges? My RMBP has developed a very interesting and annoying chassis squeak. After going to the store and then calling Applecare, they were very interested in my machine (spent 30 min on the phone with them, they asked me to send in a video fo the problem) and it's slated to be shipped back to the engineers in Cupertino for an early field failure analysis.

    I got the email from FedEx today and it turns out I need to return my machine first before a new one gets sent out. I call AppleCare again today and spoke with a 'senior advisor' who said that this is correct and he had no idea how long it would take to get a new machine sent out since inventory is constrained and my RMBP is BTO. He could give me no concrete date of when I'd receive a replacement.

    Basically I'm at a stalemate now because this is my only and primary machine and Apple refuses to send out a replacement first. This is Apple's manufacturing defect and yet they expect me to be laptop-less for an undetermined period of time. I've had much better experiences with Dell's customer service then this...

    What's the best course of action here to get my issue resolved?
  2. jcpb macrumors 6502a

    Jun 5, 2012
  3. bioyuki thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 12, 2012
    I just paid Apple $2.4k, why is it reasonable to expect to need a plan B :confused:
  4. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

    Mar 18, 2010
    Consider yourself lucky, they wouldn't even let me ship my MacBook back. They expected me to drive 3 hours to the nearest apple store. Shipping wasn't even an option.

    When they're good, they're great. But when they're bad, they're brutal.
  5. eron macrumors 6502

    Dec 2, 2008
    I don't think your decision is that difficult. It's not like the laptop is not usable. It's just a creak when you do...what?

    Wait till they have stock to send you the replacement, then do a 1 to 1 exchange.
  6. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

    Jun 1, 2012
    You have a whole year of applecare, so why not just wait a little and put up with it for a little while and then send it in.
  7. bioyuki thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 12, 2012
    I'm fine with waiting a while until there is more stock, but basically I walked through the process with the guy and it basically seems like I'll always have to wait 1-2 business days until I ship the machine back before it processes, and then afterwards wait another 3-5 business days to get the replacement machine. Apple uses the word 'Pro' in the product name, I don't understand how waiting a minimum of 4-6 business days to get replacement is reasonable?

    IBM used to offer overnight or in-person service and Dell has always offered to ship the replacement to me first, and then upon receiving the replacement, I would send the defective unit back. Does Apple seriously just expect people to be interrupted for ~1 week or more?
  8. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

    Jul 26, 2011
    That's a bummer but what were you using before the rMBP arrived? Is that computer long-gone? I always keep around the Mac that is being replaced for at least a week if not longer until I am relatively certain that the new computer is running properly.

    I understand Apple's position: the company wants to see the rMBP before it dispatches another one to you. It seems reasonable to me for them to confirm the nature and severity of the problem before deciding on how to address your problem. The BTO aspect also seems to be a complicating factor; apparently exchanges are handled somewhat differently in those cases.

    FWIW, when I have sent portable Macs to Apple the turnaround time has been as short as three days: one day getting there, one day in the shop and a final day in transit back to me. That's pretty darn quick as far as I am concerned...

    I depend on my Macs to make a living, which may be different than your situation. But in my position I always have two Macs available Just In Case. In my early days the spare would be an old-serviceable Mac that wouldn't bring much on the used market. These days it's at least two up-to-date Macs.

    On the other hand, in a pinch my iPad or iPhone can take up a lot of the slack. I've taken vacations with nothing but an iPhone in my bag.

    I hope that you get it sorted out sooner than later.
  9. dude4 macrumors newbie

    Jun 24, 2012
    if it was me i would backup any data, ship it back to apple, buy a new base model in the mean time,
    when it gets returned recover the data and utilize the 14 day no questions asked return policy on the temporary one
  10. Fortimir macrumors 6502a


    Sep 5, 2007
    Indianapolis, IN

    Why not wait till there is supply to replace your unit, AND you can schedule a week to be without it?
  11. brand macrumors 601


    Oct 3, 2006
    You seriously think that the word 'Pro' entitles you for an immediate replacement? It's just a word. Loose some of your self entitlement. Then if the solution they offered you isn't acceptable return it and wait to buy a new one. Your choice.
  12. eron macrumors 6502

    Dec 2, 2008
    I've read of people being charged for the new machine first, it ships out, then you return the faulty one. When they receive the faulty machine, they refund you the cost you paid. I think Apple can do that.

    It's basically the same as you buying a new machine, and getting it refunded within 14 days.

    Apple does have the JointVenture program for businesses that allow loan models while machines are being serviced.
  13. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a


    Jun 27, 2012
    In my experience, Apple is typically pretty quick about shipping a replacement system. But, they are constrained at the moment and while you would like to think they would slot you to the front of the line, given the particulars of your model, that may not be possible.

    There's no rush. Your system works. You've made your claim. I agree with the other comments -- just wait a bit until they are not constrained.
  14. tbn002 macrumors newbie

    Jul 10, 2011
    If you're within your 14 day return policy I think eron is correct. However, since your BTO is backordered you might want to wait like other have said.

    If Apple is so interested in your machine as an early failure case, maybe you can speak to to the rep again and see if he can expedite a replacement machine for you.

    Unfortunately AppleCare repairs don't offer loans or replacement machines while your computer is repaired. I remember having to go without my primary machine for days while it was in the store waiting for parts.
  15. jcpb macrumors 6502a

    Jun 5, 2012
    So according to you, Plan A is your MBPR. Plan B is... you don't have a second computer in case your MBPR needs to be serviced.

    Apparently you need it to be fixed in a big hurry because you didn't schedule the service appointments according to your needs, and there remains a backlog of MBPR pre-orders.

    This is why you need to have a Plan B.
  16. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601


    Jun 21, 2010
    They had this same problem when iPhones first come out. You have to wait until supply catches up.
  17. Jeff3f macrumors member

    Nov 12, 2010
    screw the above poster who said "self entitlement"...one thing that apple doesn't seem to do and I wish they would (I would pay extra for this) would be "cross shipping". So, they agree to take your macbook pro back...they ship you a new one first, and you put the old one in the new one's box when it arrives, then ship it back. they hold your credit card number hostage, in case you "forget" to return the 'bad' computer as agreed....this works great and their financial risk is minimal. Worst case scenario is that you returned a perfectly good macbook...they can probably make MOST of that back in the 'refurb' store. If you read these forums long enough, they give away enough freebies and so forth that a small profit ding (from accepting a "no questions asked" refund then having to refurbish then resell that returned item with a discount), they can likely afford the risk OK. If not, they could offer the service as a pre-paid "business" service (along with other vendors who agree to not require returns of bad hard drives in order to facilitate "security").

    I would agree, that lately the moniker "pro" seems to simply mean "pro-sumer" to apple, not "pro" as in "we'll try to minimize your downtime"

    to be fair, apple is not an established "business" vendor in the sense they behave that way, or even offer clearly defined "business" service (aside from saying that to secure a 'retina MBP is in stock' phone call from the local apple store).

    Good news is that one can usually count on apple to behave well, just be sure to document the issue (i.e. get them to agree you need a return/repair), then wait until stock improves...then do it. But in no sane universe should the OP just send his computer in and then wait a month for the replacement refurbished unit to arrive...Good luck!!!
  18. Rmafive macrumors 6502

    Jul 25, 2008
    Richmond, Virginia
    If you are friendly to the people on the phone, they generally can accommodate you very well. I had an issue with my retina display and I spent a while on the phone with Apple. I explained that I could not be without a computer and they were completely willing to send me a new one before I have to send the damaged one in.

Share This Page