[rMBP] How to view satellite imagery at full retina DPI?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flattyre, Sep 8, 2013.

1. flattyre macrumors newbie

Google maps is retina aware and displays maps at a reasonable DPI. Switch to satellite images and they are nowhere near a reasonable DPI. Same with Google Earth--I've tried it with Retinizer as it's not even a retina app but of course the satellite images are still drawn at low DPI. Is there software / some trick to get satellite images loaded at a reasonable DPI for a retina display? I look at a lot of satellite imagery and can't imagine I'm the only one who's noticed room for improvement here.

*EDIT: using RDM to select full 2880x1800 resolution does achieve what I'm talking about, but it would be nice to have the images in native DPI with one of the scaled resolutions.

2. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

googles satellite imagery isn't all that great I dunno if it would help it much to be a retina resolution.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

What he said. A poor photograph is still a poor photograph, whether it's viewed on a rMBP or on a 25 year old CRT TV.

4. flattyre thread starter macrumors newbie

You guys don't understand. I realize the photos are highly compressed but if they're scaled down, things start looking much better. Just use RDM or a similar utility to make your retina screen native resolution, open Google maps and you'll instantly see what I mean.

5. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

That's what compressed images do, they look better scaled down. Google's satellite images are not good, they'll be not good and no more clear or better at full resolution.

6. msink macrumors member

Retina and Google Earth

flattyre knows what he's talking about, and you guys really don't understand.

Take a look at the attached image. See the fans blades, chairs, solar panels? 3 images on the left, and 3 on the right, of the same area. Can you tell which side is making use of a Retina display?

Contrary to your statements, Google Earth and Retina Displays are perfect for each other, if only Google Earth supported them. Obviously Google Earth has a ton of image data and detail. Imagine you take just a tiny fraction of the image data, say, 2560x1600 pixels worth. Now display that data on a Retina and Non-Retina display, which one do you think will look 4x as good? The one that can display every pixel of the image, or the one that can only display every other pixel? It's not that difficult guys.

Mark

Attached Files: