rMBP liuqid Spill but no sign of damage ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pivoh, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Pivoh, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013

Pivoh macrumors member

Hey guys,

I have a 15 inch Retina Macbook, a soda has spilled over the top right of my keyboard but the laptop is fully working but of course turned off now.

I am wondering what steps I should take now? I was going to open it and dry as much as possible.

Would it make sense to get it checked by apple or would they simply suggest to swap out all the parts? The laptop was dripping wet so there is no doubt it got inside I believe.

any help would be highly appreciated.

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They may deny warranty service on some or all parts, but that remains to be seen. The next thing is important. You have to clean the insides. Whether Apple does it or you do so, it needs to be cleaned. Isopropyl is the typical method as it's non-conductive. You want at least 90% isopropyl if you're doing it yourself. You need to ground yourself and not walk around. You should look up guides on disassembly if doing this yourself. You will need the appropriate screwdrivers too and a clean work area.

If you leave it as it is, it's guaranteed to die within a year. Soft drinks are incredibly corrosive. They're both acidic and full of sugar. You do not want that residue on your logic board. In the case of Apple if it got past the keyboard, they're likely to deny warranty service. They might clean it out for you, and those keyboards are difficult to clean. It's also expensive if corrosion fries your keyboard, and others have experienced that after spills. My suggestion is not to turn it on until you've dealt with this.