rMBP MagSafe 2 not charging... Best buy will check try to fix it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JSENNY25, Nov 27, 2012.

1. JSENNY25, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012

JSENNY25 macrumors member

Edit: I called Best Buy and they said they will test my 13" rMBP and check it. If it is the power brick they will replace it. I also asked if that doesn't fix it could I return the retina MacBook for another and they said yes.

I did happen to bookmark Fry's website and they have the 13" unibody MacBook Pro for $949 online and Best Buy said that they could match it if I returned the rMBP for a unibody MBP.

They big question:
    2012 13" unibody MBP for $949 (plus the impeding RAM upgrade and SSD---add$ $275)

Or

2012 13" retina MBP for $1499

Like the title says, I need help with my rMBP MagSafe 2 not charging.

I have not had any issue at all until this morning.

I tried resetting the SMC,but that did not seem to help.

The charger has been plugged in (I tried both the duck head way and the extension) and the LED is not lit up and it is not charging.

I have tried several outlets they all are good, but the laptop will not charge.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. JSENNY25 thread starter macrumors member

If anyone has a suggestion as to how to check to see it the MagSafe is even working, I would appreciate it.

3. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

Know anyone else with a rMBP?
    If you do plug your charger into theirs and see if it charge.

4. JSENNY25 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately not. My wife has a uMBP and I can go buy the adapter and check later, but at the moment I am stumped.

5. hface119 macrumors newbie

This may be an obvious response, but perhaps a trip to the Apple Store is in order?

I've had ONE instance with my rMBP where it was plugged in, the computer knew it was plugged in, but it was "not charging". It was connected to the Magsafe 2 adapter for Thunderbolt Display and I think it may have just not seated in the port correctly. A little adjusting and it was fine.

6. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: MagSafe 2...

Hi,

I've found that sometimes a cleaning helps. Using one of the soft pencil erasers (like the "pink" eraser that I used in grade school -- not one of the hard ink erasers), clean the contacts of the adapter and computer. Make sure to brush or blow away any eraser bits left within the ports.

As has already been mentioned, I too find that sometimes the magnetic clasp keeps the plug from seating properly, so unplugging and replugging is in order.

Switon

7. JSENNY25 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try, but no go.

I think my options are exhausted, but I really go not want to drive the hour to the closest Apple store.

8. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: you lucky duck...

Yeah, it sounds like you will have to replace the power brick. Have you changed from the power brick's AC plug to its AC cord? I've also found on occasion that the plug/cord/power brick connection needs to be cleaned.

Sorry about your drive, but for me having an Apple Store a mere hour away would be nice ... the closest one to me is only a 6 hour drive on Interstate highways. But then again, a McDonald's sign at the edge of our town just as you are leaving on the Interstate informs you that the next McDonalds is 206 miles away. Probably not too many places in the USA that can say that.

Switon

P.S. Is there noone that can lend you his/her power brick so that you can test your laptop?

9. JSENNY25 thread starter macrumors member

Wow, I guess that I really do not have it that bad.

My wife has a uMBP from 2011, but I do not have the $10 adapter to test it.

I could try my local Best Buy (I know, I know... But they matched Fry's 1499 price + I have a tax exempt) and see if they will give me a new brick.

10. JoJo Zzang macrumors member

This actually happened to me. I tried everything... Until an Apple rep asked me to boot in Safe Mode... Then the charge came back. Then restarted regularly and all was well.