rMBP Order shipped, apple returned money initially taken/held into my account?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by helix21, Sep 7, 2014.

1. helix21 macrumors regular

Hi all,

Anyone had a similar experience? I'm ordering from the UK and use Natwest banking. As soon as I had made the order, my 'available balance' dropped by the price of laptop, but it didn't show up in my statements all throughout the 5 day "processing" time.

I called Apple to ask why it taking so long on Thursday, and also inquired about the money, why it wasn't in my statement. They told me that they had just placed a "hold" of some sort on the account, claiming the money, but not withdrawing it until it's shipped.

Well... my Macbook shipped Friday and according to tracking, its in Kazakastan at the moment. However, my "available balance" has gone up back to what it was before the order was placed!

I'm guessing perhaps because its over the weekend and they have a delivery date to meet they haven't taken the money yet? I'm going to wait till tomorrow afternoon (Monday), and if it isn't taken as of yet, I will call them. The last thing I want is for my delivery (Wednesday) to be delayed due to some bizarre payment issue.

Anyone had something similar happen? I haven't heard anything from Apple after their "order shipped" email, just noticed this myself on the balance.

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Apple'll claim what is theirs, don't worry about that.

And if they don't then hey, free laptop!

4. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

So it is normal for Apple to take money on the day of the delivery (day you receive it) as opposed to day of dispatch?

The Apple customer service rep (who might be mistaken) told me otherwise.

Delivery Wednesday, and even today nothing was deducted from the account so it's not a weekend charge thing.

Funny thing is that under Apple orders page I have a "Print an Invoice" that shows a charge on my card on Friday the 5th :S

5. Giev macrumors member

You will be charged on the day its delivered, but it will backdate to the they they shipped it

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

"Holds" expire if the merchant doesn't follow up with a transaction, hence your balance has gone up. Technically Apple are exposed by shipping after the hold has expired and before they have charged the transaction.

7. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

While the hold has expired; it is still considered a valid transaction.

I'm sure it hasn't crossed your mind, but make sure you have money available in the account for the purchase because the bank will approve the transaction regardless if you have funds available or not.

8. RianT macrumors member

RianT

Are you worried that Apple is not going to take your money? :rolleyes:

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

This isn't the first of these threads. Folks think they are about to get a free laptop. As if.