rMBP Owners, How does it feel seeing IGZO in an iPad Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starfyre, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Starfyre, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Anyone have any reservations or thoughts about this technology now that its in the Air? I find it very interesting as all of us hate yellow tint and the iPad Air is very cool in the display... and its an IGZO! Which seems to lead to almost 100% certainty that the Macbook Pro may one day get one (or that LTPS display that amazon uses), and there will probably be no yellow... will it be worth waiting for? Or is it better to just stick with whats available now?

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/05...-technology-for-thinner-lower-power-displays/

57% improvement in power efficiency compared to previous iPads, a jump that simply would not be possible with a-Si technology.

screen Reflectance decreased by 23 percent, the Peak Brightness increased by 7 percent, and the Contrast Rating for High Ambient Light increased by 32 percent – all good.

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

iPad 2, 3 and 4 never had yellow and they weren't IGZO either. I don't think just because the iPad Air has IGZO and is white means anything.

3. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

a yellow tinted iPad would be useful for those history assignments where people used to make their paper look old by putting tea on it

4. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

consider this, any update to IGZO is at least a year away. could be 2 years or more as Apple will most certainly need yields to be high enough to use. I'm thinking

iPad/iPad mini this year
    iPhone next year
    rmbp two years from now.

5. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

Yes, definitely wait. Probably next will be broadwell with IGZO, but people should probably not buy even then because soon after that will be skylake. I wouldn't even buy that one though, because just a year later will be cannonlake...

I don't understand this kind of thinking. If you need a new laptop because your current one doesn't do what you need it to do, then you should buy one now, be it from Apple or some other manufacturer. If you're the type who always needs the latest and greatest then of course you'll buy now, and you'll buy again in a year. If you're not sure if you should buy now or wait one more release then you obviously don't fall into either of the previous two camps and so you shouldn't buy anything until you do. Why is this so agonizing for some people? If you don't need it don't buy it!

6. jont-fu macrumors regular

The iPads surely sell multiple times as much as the Macbook Pro. But I bet that Apple is just allocating all their IGZO resources to the iPad, as it is more important product line currently. In laptops the processor is still quite power hungry, so in the iPad a new screen technology made the most impact.

Oh and the iPhone already uses an even more power efficient screen technology, LTPS.

I'm not that pissed over my brand new 15" rMBP not having an IGZO display, as it would mostly affect battery life. My screen is otherwise perfect; no image retention or yellowing.

7. durkkin macrumors regular

Maybe Apple is using the IGZO iPad screen as a pilot/test program. Maybe it's really expensive to change the manufacturing process from LCD to IGZO. Maybe the design of the clamshell and glass makes producing an MBP IGZO panel harder.

There are a ton of reasons why Apple did what they did. We don't know why or know what their roadmap is.

No, I don't care I don't have an IGZO panel. I love my computer. Technology moves fast. I'll get the best computer I can next time and enjoy IGZO or whatever new screen technology it has then. iPads needed to be as efficient as possible to reduce battery size and still maintain battery life. Macs still have the best batteries and battery life of any laptop. If I don't have time to plug in my computer for a quick charge during it's 9 hour lifespan, I'm doing something wrong.

8. NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

Perfect reply. Buy now. Enjoy now.

9. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68000

Starfyre

We know for sure that Sharp does have supply issues as reported and rumored before. Pretty sure thats whats causing the delays for the iPad Retina Mini's release for the supply to catch up.

10. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

What the

11. MattC85, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

MattC85 macrumors newbie

It's hard for me to complain since I won the screen lottery on a haswell 15 inch pro (Samsung with no tint). There are articles saying IGZO for MacBook Pro should bring in a higher resolution:

http://www.rttnews.com/2202147/apple-nex-gen-macbook-pro-to-be-equipped-with-igzo-display.aspx

Definitely wish my MacBook Pro would have that, especially if it improves battery life as well. With the ipad air now being confirmed to be IGZO, but with broadwell being delayed, I'd bet that the pro coming out at the end of next year should be getting that upgrade. One thing that does make me wonder though, if the ipad air ppi didn't increase with a change to an IGZO screen, would the MacBook Pro also stay the same ppi given a similar transition in screen technology? If that were the case, I wouldn't care nearly as much.

12. Chatran macrumors member

If you search google with 'ipad air yellow tint', it doesnt seem to be better...

13. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I agree. They needed to put their resources into making it work for the ipads first, as those needed it the most. Not only do they make more money from them, but they each had redesigns that required the power efficiency of IGZO.

Macbook pros don't need a redesign, it would look exactly the same...just with a battery life improvement.

14. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

Actually, go over to the ipad forum and you'll find there is a very concerning left side yellow tint problem with the ipad Air. There are many pages dedicated to it and I also happen to be the unlucky recipient of one. one half of the screen is ugly and totally unacceptable and the right side is fantastic.

I'm batting at 50 percent. Imac and 5s perfect and brilliant displays. Air and rMPB yellow haze problems.

Really I don't think it's quite good enough. 1 out of 4 okay, but two within the space of a week is just plain *****. Add in the debacle of the delivery that I'm going through now and it is not short of unacceptable.

I literally just got off the phone with Apple Support and several apologies from them I told them that after everything I've been through I'd really appreciate it if they make sure my replacement screen is a good one.

I'll still consider calling after it's all over and complaining about what transpired to see if I can get some compensation for all the trouble I've been through, but if they screen is good, I'll just about settle for that at the moment. Huh, settle for what I should have got in the first place... interesting.

15. intothepolis macrumors regular

Damn, that does suck. If I had those problems I'd seriously buy something else. Fortunately, I've never had issues with any mac laptop I've bought.

16. goMac macrumors 603

I would have liked an IGZO panel, but when you gotta but you've gotta buy. The old one was overdue for replacement.

No complaints about the current screen FYI.

17. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Yes, the same reservations as before. Quality and performance are still open questions.

18. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

No problem, the iPhone will have preferential treatment over the MacBook Pro. So it probably will take 2+ years before we so these kinds of displays on the MacBook Pro.

So when I buy a new rMBP in 3 years, I just might be in time for one of those IGZO displays.