RMBP SSD Upgrade 512 to 768 GB: Does it worth the 500 $/€/£?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by David Menzel, Jun 15, 2012.

1. David Menzel macrumors member

Hello,

I hope you can help me here. I'm struggling which SDD I should get for the MacBook Pro with Retina Display. 500 $/€/£ is a lot of money and I'm asking myself if I should spend it for additional 256 GB? Do you think that it worths additional 500 $/€/£ to upgrade from 512 GB to 768 GB?

I have a lot of movies, tv shows from iTunes and like to sync all my iOS devices with the new MacBook. Unfortunately, we have no "Movies in the Cloud" Service here in Germany so far, but I hope that Apple will release it someday. (That would certainly solve the major problem.)

Do have any suggestions, alternetives which you would consider?

2. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

If you have the money and need the space, than go for it.

Another option is you could spend the money on a 6TB NAS device to store all your media, so along as you have internet connection, you can access the media remotely.

3. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

You do have external HDDs in Germany, don't you ? ;)

4. David Menzel thread starter macrumors member

haha! :rolleyes:...

I want to have a suitable solution to save and sync my media library with my all other devices. I don't think that a standard external HDD would do that.

----------

Yes, a NAS with a lot of capacity would be an interesting solution. Do have have any information about a good one?

5. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

I got a Buffalo LinkStation Duo 6TB, you can also get Western Digital 6TB MyBook Live Duo. Both are on the cheaper side of NAS £350, you can buy more expensive ones that have better CPU and more RAM all way upto Intel Atom CPU. But for simple storage and file transfer those two are more than fast enough.

You might also want to look in to PLEX, it is a media server that can transcode video and send it to your iOS devices.

6. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Well, think about it tis way.

If you need the space NOW, there is just no other way.

However in a year there are going to be aftermarket solutions, and even though they may be slightly more expensive, you still get to keep your old SSD, maybe sell it or put it in an enclosure.

But if you need it now...

7. David Menzel thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, you helped me a lot. I think I will order the 512 GB SSD today, and invest the 500 bucks for an external solution or an upgrade from OWC somedays.

8. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Keep in mind that a 480gb module for a macbook air costs almost $800 from OWC. The little flash modules are pretty much the same for the retina's, so they will cost the same.

9. David Menzel thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advise. Mhhh, I hope that SSDs will be a little cheaper somedays or that Apple releases "Movies in the Cloud" for Germany (This would immediately fix my space problem ;) ).

10. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Most recent WIFI routers have USB port(s) you can plug an external hard dive to and use it as a NAS. This is a cheap solution if you want to try it.

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

I fixed it for you.