RMBP - Strange whirring sound all of the sudden

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kauai, May 13, 2013.

1. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Video

I just purchased this RMBP about three months ago and today I start it up and I start hearing this sound coming from the RMBP. I'm taking it in to an authorized mechanic later today (we don't have an apple store around here) but does anyone have any ideas what it might be? Broken fan?

I do have one other question. I had my computer on vacation with me two months ago and it got a small chip on the corner. I have no idea how it happened and it definitely wasn't dropped or anything. Will that invalidate my warranty?

If I find out this computer I spent a good chunk of change on can't be repaired today is going to be a pretty awful day. :(

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I doubt any cosmetic damage will void your warranty unless an internal vital part is damaged by the trauma.

As for the sound, running the Apple Hardware Test may or may not give you more information. Seems like you could do a little more self-diagnosis before taking it to someone who will probably charge you to look at it. Any way you can record it and post it? When does it start? Anything make it better or worse (such as changing the backlight strength)? Does the pitch change or is it consistent? Any particular place on the computer it seems to be coming from? Are the fans coming on at the same time or any relation to CPU use?

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Sounds like one of the fans. I guess in trying to diagnose it, does that sound come on right when you power up?

4. Kauai thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's coming from the upper right area. And I got the sound to go away by lifting the computer and kind of moving the computer around...Like, what? :confused: I'm still going to take it in probably (they charge Apple through my warranty; I've used them before) And yeah, the sound would start right when I turned it on.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Then it highly likely your fan. If you're comfortable taking apart the bottom panel, I would do it and see if there's anything obstructing the fan. It's a simple task and would save the trip to the Apple Store.

6. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

It's under warranty. Unless the case has a dent in it, take it back to the Apple store. It's their problem.