rMBP takes forever to connect to wifi on start up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Harry Muff, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Harry Muff macrumors regular

Only on start up, though.

I've tried deleting old networks, making sure wifi is at the top of the list, but I still have to wait something like 30 secs before I can go online.

I'm running the latest 10.10.2 public beta, because I was hoping it might fix it. It's been happening since 10.10.0.

What with that and the beachballs when there's a confirmation dialogue (since pre release 10.10), I just don't know what's going on with OS X these days.

They get it right just in time for a whole new release to come out and it all starts again...

Two year cycle, anyone?

2. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

have you tried connecting to another network? Maybe go to a coffee shop connect to there network restart and see if your computer picks it up quickly. I'm running 10.10.2 with zero issues. Instant connection on my rMBP, same with my mac mini too

3. plastictoy macrumors member

Do you turn on Bluetooth? That was an issue before in previous releases and caused a slight delay.

You can also change service order priority in Network Preferences > little gear icon > Set Service Order. Maybe you did this before but in case it wasn't tried yet.

4. Wirbowsky macrumors member

5. TOMIMOT macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

Im experiencing the same issue but it doesn't take that long. Ive had other MacBooks that connected faster but its not enough to bother me. Just an observation I've made. Maybe its a software issue that apple will address in the next update. Currently running yosemite 10.10.1

6. Harry Muff thread starter macrumors regular

Haven't tried that as my Mac rarely leaves the house.

I tried that but made no difference. Thanks anyway.

7. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

did you get the recent update (about 1-2 days ago)... it was a minor update but the notes referred to wifi

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

What WiFi router are you using? Hopefully not one of those awful ISP suppled ones.

9. Harry Muff thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, but it doesn't cause problems with anything else and has been fine so far.

Just installed the latest PB and it's the same.

I also tried the instructions posted by Wirbowsky and it made no difference either.

Oh well...

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

11. GoingDark macrumors 6502

I've had constant WiFi issues since the Yosemite update, including this issue. Turning WiFi on/off seems to "quicken" the connection but it's annoying. The router doesn't make a difference, whether it's my AirPort Extreme, my girlfriend's ISP modem/router combo, Starbucks WiFi, etc.

I don't think we're getting a fix before the next version of OS X.