RMBP To order online or wait for stock to be instores?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prfrma, Jun 20, 2012.

1. prfrma macrumors regular

So my pay check that would have enabled me to purchase online the day after the RMBP was launched ended up being late (first world problems I know) and now I have to wait 4 weeks instead of 5 days...

Having not had much experience being an early adopter with brand new apple products, I really have no idea whether i'd be rewarded by patently waiting till there in stock via retail, or buying online right now and waiting the 3-4 weeks (whilst checking delivery status every minute and probably driving myself nuts in the process).

Which do you reckon I should do? Could I do both without having my account charged twice? What's your strategy for getting one of these in a timely mannor? What's happened in the past in terms of when retail stores get this vs online orders?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its hit or miss for the base models, some Best Buys have them and from time to time the apple store will have them as well. You may luck out and snag one.

Ordering online ensures you'll get one with a minimum of fuss, the downside is you have to wait. Another advantage for ordering online is upping the ram. So far no stores have the 16GB model

I opted for waiting and ordered it online, that way I maxed out the ram as noted. :)

3 - 4 weeks is not that long (I've been waiting since January for a new laptop) and it frees me up from dealing with calling/visiting apple and best buy stores needlessly.

3. prfrma thread starter macrumors regular

Considering I've got my eye on the 16gb of ram version, online it is! Thanks.

4. tundoopani macrumors newbie

Is there any possibility that the apple stores would have any 16gb models?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've asked a number of salesmen in a couple of different apple stores and I've gotten completely different answers. Some said yes, others said no, and some were honest enough to say I don't know

6. Southernboyj, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

A strategy I was considering (kind of risky due to not wanting to overdraw)
    Placing the order online right away, and since it shouldn't charge you until it ships, just continue looking for one in stores while your MBP processes online. And if you happen to find one in stock at an Apple store/Best Buy, just cancel the online order. What you guys think?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They put a hold on your account when you buy online, so sometimes the way they process the order you'll see 2x the charges. Something to consider as it might cause some unwanted hassles

8. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

How about if you were using a gift card? If you placed the order with the gift card online and tried to buy one in store with the same gift card?

Also side note: With this 2012 MBA until it actually shipped, they just charged my debit card $1 to make sure it was active.