RMBP users, did you get rid of second monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by leftyMac, Jan 12, 2014.

1. leftyMac macrumors regular

I'm using a 23" external monitor with my MBP 13, but I'm seriously thinking of getting a rMBP 15 lately.

Since you can get much larger screen resolutions on rMBP 15, maybe I could do without? My GF will be using the external monitor, so I wouldn't mind not bothering with hooking it up if it doesn't give much benefit.

Any rMBP users got rid of external monitors?

2. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

I still use an external monitor at home, because 15 inch screen isn't really great for gaming..

3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

As cheap as large external displays are these days I'd think that would be one of the first things to add - not delete. Retina or not, I'd still prefer 27+ inches for just about anything if I'm desk bound.

4. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

I like this reasoning. Even with scaled resolutions, 13" or 15" of actual screen area is quite limiting for long sessions of desktop work/play. The portability of the 13" is incredible but I use it mainly as my desktop at home running double 23" widescreen 1920x1080 monitors.

5. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Well, to be fair, MBPs aren't really great for gaming.

I have an external monitor mounted on my wall on my desk. It's usually connected to my gaming PC but I have an HDMI cable with a miniDP to HDMI adapter ready for when I need the big screen on my MBP. However, I'm quite comfortable with the 15" display. The external display is only for when I need two displays, not just a bigger one.

Regards
    Raptor

6. NativeTxn macrumors regular

When I got my 15" rMBP in late November, one of the first things I did was buy 2 23" external monitors. I mainly did it for work (I work from home) as it is much more convenient to have my work system open on one screen and everything else I need on the second screen.

I just use the HDMI cable that came with the monitors to hook up the screen on my right, and then I got a mini-display port to HDMI adaptor to hook up the screen on the left. Works like a charm.

The monitors aren't really anything special (just some Acer 23" monitors - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009483) but they were on sale for about $130 when I got them, I found some promo code where I got $13 off, and shipping was like $2.00, so the two monitors were shipped to my door for just under $250 total. They work well for what I need them for so I have no complaints.

In all honesty, the 15" is nice (and leaps and bounds better than my old 13" HP laptop) from a screen real estate standpoint, but the externals are still great. If you are going with just one monitor, I would think a 27" - 30" would be excellent.