rMBP using lots of RAM in Yosemite

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SamB11, Apr 5, 2015.

1. SamB11 macrumors member

SamB11

Hi All.
    Im a bit concerned about the RAM usage for my late 2013 15" rMBP
    I opened up Activity Monitor and was bewildered to see that I am using 14.5GB of my 16GB installed Ram. The only Main Apps I have open were 3 Chrome Tabs (including the one I am using to post this message) and iTunes. I am confused as to why even with chrome open it is using so much memory.
    thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

Yosemite is designed to be as effective as possible when running on a computer. What's the point of having 16GB of RAM if you never use it? :D There's nothing wrong, your computer, it's doing its job.

3. aodesigns macrumors member

This. I noticed the same as you not long ago with my 2012 rmbp. Some quick searches proved this was normal and nothing to worry about :)

4. Anand953 macrumors regular

Yosemite is running perfectly fine in my mid 2014 MacBook pro with retina display... It has 8gb ram ...

5. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

I would be concerned if it wasn't running with almost full RAM - that's how OS X manages memory now, with the resource monitoring of it measured by memory pressure. That graph is well in the green for you as you can see.

Free RAM is wasted RAM. OS X will leave things resident in memory in case it needs them again (for example, if you quit an app), and load up frequently used things for quicker system response. If the system needs memory it can quickly drop these inactive items to create space - this is what the memory pressure is measuring; the contest for the finite resource that is your actual hardwired RAM. If this graph is always green then you have more than enough RAM for your computing needs.

I'd wager that having 16 GB is going to mean that graph is always green for you at least for next 5 years or so unless you're frequently manipulating huge data sets.

6. wksj macrumors member

Mine used to say 7-8GB used out of 8GB on 10.10.2.
    Here's what it says on 10.10.3 Beta, with Firefox using about 650MB:

[​IMG]

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Search the forum, there are many posts that explain but to put it short, OS X uses the available RAM you have to best effect for your experience. Go by the Memory pressure graph (which is low and green), and don't worry about it, it isn't DOS from the 1980's.

8. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

Doesn't this decrease battery life?

9. Fez Vrasta macrumors member

Fez Vrasta

I don't think RAM needs lot of power to stay up...

10. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

RAM is powered whether there is data in it or not, a 16GB machine will draw <slightly> more power than an 8GB machine but the 16GB machine will draw the same if none, 8GB or all 16GB have data in it.

11. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

The power requirement to hold a random number of 1's and 0's (free RAM) vs a specific order of 1's and 0's (used RAM) is the same.

If the RAM is powered up it uses the same amount of energy either way (and even then, it's a tiny drop in the ocean compared to the power used by the CPU or the screen, for example).

12. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

Then why desktops computer or any other laptops doesn't do the same as Apple?

13. Fez Vrasta macrumors member

Fez Vrasta

Windows uses the same approach, it try to use as much ram as possible, linux as well.

14. BriOS macrumors member

SAME results for me. I was almost maxed out on my 2015 rMBP. I just installed 10.10.3 beta and its down to 1.73gb out of 8gb. Was 7.48gb before. Weird.

15. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

Are you kidding me, no.

16. BriOS macrumors member

Yeah no buddy. Lol not you xban, the guy you quoted. Gotta love the inter webs.

17. joe-h2o, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015

joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

Err, they do?

Look at how Windows and Linux handle memory management, not just how they report RAM usage to the user.

Edit: Look here, for example:
    http://media.askvg.com/articles/images3/Windows_7_Windows_8_Memory_Consumption.png

This is showing Windows 7 and Windows 8 side by side. Look at the information presented for the allocation of physical memory. It works the same way that OS X does (which is unsurprising - it makes the most sense to do it this way).

18. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

So... I'm guessing it's a memory management bug in 10.10.2 or earlier and not a feature? Btw do you guys have the same exact stuff open on both 10.10.2 and 10.10.3?

19. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

That's not evidence of a bug. They could have just as easily decided to change how the metrics are reported to the end user, because they have been getting asked too many questions like, "I have 8GB, how come barely any of it is free when I only have Chrome with half a dozen tabs open?"

20. SWD macrumors member

I noticed that my 2010 MBP was using most of the 8gb ram. Which made me think I needed to order 16gb on the new 2015 rMBP (I did). Those bastards tricked me! Oh well.

21. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No

You didn't do your research. As there is a thread on here about this about once every 6 hours it wouldn't have taken much research either...