rMBP wont let me output full resolution to external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ifaptoomuch, Dec 19, 2013.

1. ifaptoomuch macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm on the latest rMBP. I had no problems using a 27inch monitor to output its full resolution before but one day I had that monitor on and I plugged in my TV via HDMI cable to use all 3 displays at once.

Since then, the 27" monitor has been outputting only 1080p and thats the max resolution it allows me. When I'm on the display preferences on the 27" monitor, there arent any resolutions under "Scaled". The box is completely empty. "Best for display" stretches it out completely and it looks awful.

I'm using a Mini DP to DP cable.

I reset my PRAM hoping it would fix it but nothing!

Any suggestions?

2. ifaptoomuch thread starter macrumors newbie

3. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

It's probably detecting the Monitor as a TV now. I had that issue with my Mac Mini and never figured it out.

4. DanClark macrumors newbie

AFAIK, the maximum resolution for the HDMI cable is 1080P. I suspect that it's related to having a device attached to the rMBP via an HDMI cable.

Try unplugging the HDMI from the TV and see if that helps. If not, try removing the HDMI cable from the rMBP completely.

Dan.

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

HDMI will go higher. Just the refresh rate goes in the tank.

I'd like to hear what 27" monitor, because the average ones only go 1080, and won't do full retina, certainly not across the HDMI port

Obviously some go higher, but...

6. ifaptoomuch thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a Dell u2713hm

I had full 2560 x 1440 with DP to Mini DP untill I plugged in the HDMI cable at the same time. Now it feels like its "stuck" on HDMI even after taking out the cable and I have no idea how to unstick it.

I rebooted at least a dozen times, reset PRAM, took out cables and everything. So frustrating.

7. xxcysxx, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013

xxcysxx macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I think I might know your problem. if you have use your monitor at 2560x1440 before at native resolution through the rmbp mini display port, and it just recently experience setting conflict with achieving native resolution again then I would advise you to check the mini Display to Display port cable, particularly if you have by any chance swapped it out for another display port cable. some "cheap" display port cable "made in china" sold by amazon are a hit and miss. they sometime work and sometime don't.

if you confirm that it is the same cable as you use before when you achieve your external monitor native resolution, then I advise you to connect your monitor to your rmbp with that mini display port cable and go into the display setting and select display mirroring, and then set the display setting to a low resolution to something like 1024x768 and then select 1920x1080 and then select 2560x1440. your external monitor should get native resolution as a result of this, but the retina monitor will show a scaled resolution. after this just disable mirroring, and the native resolution on the external monitor should stick, whereas the retina monitor will display its normal way.

voila!

ps. I have the 2012 rmbp model, and I can confirm the rmbp hdmi port does not output anything higher than 1920x1080 resolution, no matter what HDMI cable you use. However, I have pc with two gtx680 in sli and i can use any hdmi cable and still get native 2560x1440.