rMBP13 2015 display panels different - how to get the right one

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by terencedriver, May 1, 2015.

1. terencedriver, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015

terencedriver macrumors member

I want to get a macbook of some sort and intend to do photography with it. Display quality is therefore important.

Other threads suggested apple are putting one of two display panels in the rMBP13 2015. You can check by using the color profile info tool to see of the panel code ends in 029 (LG good?) or 2A (Samsung bad?).

I popped into both London apple stores to investigate. Regent Street had one with an LG display and it looked good. The Covent Garden had one with Samsung and looked visibly warmer and possibly fuzzier but this was not a scientific test in the busy store just before closing time.

Staff at both stores had no idea abiut this or how I could get the right one.

So...how do I get the right one in the UK?

2. prism macrumors 6502a

You don't, its the luck of the draw. Unlike with the 15", you can't even use the software to determine who made the screen.

3. stokyo macrumors newbie

The A029's have image retention. I went through 4 AO29's (LG) and all of them had image retention. finally got an A02A (Samsung) and it's perfect. For photography, where you're editing a picture that stays on the screen for a while, image retention is a no go.

4. uptempos macrumors member

I'm sorry for being a newb...im real curious to see what display I have...what do you mean by color profile...can someone please provide some quick instructions. thanks

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

6. uptempos macrumors member

7. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Uneven tinting is something that only color geeks like me will note. The IPS panel on retina macbooks is not pro classe, since you can't tweak individual pixels like some Eizo panels can do. Retention was a issue only in early retina Macbooks (mid-12 and early-13).

Don't know about last gen rMBPs, though. I expect that nothing changed, otherwise we would find more buzz about a new generation of retina panels.