Rnadom file appeared on my computer, can't get rid of it, Spotlight won't find it

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iPhone 62S, Aug 23, 2009.

1. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

I have a file called "LLYc9P5V.part" on my MacBook, I have no idea what it is or where it came from, but I can only view it on the stack because it just won't show up in Finder and I can't drag it to the Trash or find it in Spotlight, it's just there and I can't get rid of it.

Help? What is it? How do I get rid of it?

EDIT: I'm running 10.5.8 BTW.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

By the stack, I'm guessing you mean it's in your Downloads folder on the Dock. If so, click the Downloads folder, then "Open in Finder". You should see the contents of that folder there, where you can delete the file. If the file is on your Dock (not in a folder), simply drag it off your Dock and it will disappear. A .part file is part of a download that didn't complete. If it's on your Dock, not in a folder, it's only a shortcut to a file, which has probably been deleted.

3. iPhone 62S thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Yes I clicked "Open in Finder", but the file does not show up at all! When I try dragging the file from the stack it also didn't work. It's in a folder in my Dock, but I can only see it in the folder's Stack.

I'm a bit scared, I never downloaded that random file... I haven't been hacked or anything have I?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you haven't been hacked. Try dragging the entire folder off the Dock, then dragging it from Finder back to the Dock.

5. iPhone 62S thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

It worked! Thanks! :)