RNC chairman stands by statement comparing Obama to Italian ship captain

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Jan 30, 2012.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I think the comparison to a tragedy where people have died is NOT "a fair analogy". What does everyone here think?
    I also wonder about this complaint by Priebus that Obama is abandoning his job by campaigning. I am wondering at what point it IS okay for a sitting President to start campaigning? Is he supposed to wait until election day while all the candidates in the other party have a one sided campaign against him for 12 months or more beforehand? Somehow I think his answer would be quite different if the sitting President was a Republican

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-ship-captain/2012/01/30/gIQAUKN3cQ_blog.html

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

People in the US die of poverty daily; not to mention those who have lost their lives at war.

I think the amount of campaigning is ridiculous, especially for a current President. We heard his stance in 2008 and we've seen what he has accomplished or not.

This goes for others in political positions. They need to focus on their current jobs more and hire people to share their ideas and show what they have done.

But of course in this day and age big lights and fancy suits shaking your hands out in middle-of-nowhere Kansas is more important than staying in their office and trying to better the country.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What else can you expect from a guy with a name like Reince Priebus?

Seriously, I thought his remark was ridiculous and offensive. It manages to be a really unfair cheap shot at Obama and trivialize the Costa Concordia tragedy. A two-fer. :rolleyes:

Way to go, GOP. Keep showing us that obnoxious black heart of yours.

4. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

What does that have to do with the chairman's comments?

Okay, that doesn't answer my question....when SHOULD a sitting President start campaigning themselves? Never? If so, then that is ridiculous. People want to hear from the candidates themselves, not just some talking head hired to speak for them. Would you want to leave things to other people if it were you?

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It was a comment made in poor taste no matter how you cut it. Not that we can expect any taste from GOP.

The RNC is showing more and more how little it really cares. The GOP is the party of no. They do not care about anything but themselves.

6. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Even the most bitter conservative could not make a credible argument that this is due to negligence on the part of the POTUS.

This guy Priebus is a antagonistic douche. :rolleyes:

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

How did this compare to Bush in terms of time spent on the re-election campaign trail or vacation days taken? It's not a rhetorical question. I don't know the numbers on this. I do remember Bush avoided work as much as possible. I personally think we're in trouble whoever wins.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

When Michael Steele denounces your comments, you now they're way over the top.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm totally fine with the analogy, and I think there's some merit to it.

That being said, I think there's been too much campaigning by everyone. The election is still more than nine months away, and we've spent the last year (or more) being bombarded with campaign messages, most of them negative. And the worst is yet to come.

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I, for one, love the GOP talking point that the President is more worried about keeping his job than doing it.

How does a president convince someone to vote for him/her? It isn't empty rhetoric, but promises to do things that would benefit the voter. I want the person I'm voting for to be out there trying to do things for my vote. President Obama has proposals dealing with green energy that would create jobs here. He has proposals dealing with bringing jobs back to the USA. He has proposals to make getting an education easier and more affordable. He wants to get our finances in order.

I like that President Obama wants my vote. I like that he is out there trying to convince the rest of America that his proposals are good things.

The GOP candidates apparently don't want or care about votes from people like me. They are too busy trying to get a job than finding ways to make this country better.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Not really. A president doesn't have anywhere near the unilateral authority like a captain.

Also, Obama didn't try to "trip and fall" into a lifeboat.

And of course, the biggest difference is that our ship was off course before the 2008 elections. We can disagree about the degree to which Obama has or hasn't righted the ship, but the fact that there have been some improvements in some sectors means that we haven't run aground yet.

The paradox of negative advertising: everyone hates it, but it works.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm not sure why it's newsworthy. Yes it's tin-eared, but otherwise, how is this critique any different than all the other lambasts the Republican party keeps coming up with?

As for merit, I disagree.

Yes, but the RNC isn't required to spend two years and the GDP of a small country to run against Obama. That's their choice and the choice of their candidates and funders.

Is the 2012 Obama campaign supposed to remain effectively silent under this fusillade? (And keep in mind, I would have asked the same question about Bush in 2003-2004).

The President is also a candidate for office, so I don't think it's fair to argue that the President is campaigning.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You're right on whether he has the authority a ship captain has - but he's unquestionably the leader of the country, just as the captain is of his ship. He's the one people are going to look to in a time of crisis, just like the captain.

No, I think it has more to do with the general perception that there's still trouble that needs to be tended to, and the feeling that he isn't tending to it. Unfortunately, he's been put into a position where he has to begin his campaign for no other reason than the GOP got started a year or so ago, which is far too early for my liking.

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The weird thing is the the President is actually out there proposing things that arguably could be passed by the Congress and could affect the country. Green energy, tax plans, etc... The GOP has proposed a base on the moon, zero taxes on certain income and other far fetched, never to be policy ideas. In other words, the GOP is trying to cast the Presidents proposals as fantasy, just like what they are doing.

Seems like an admission that everything they are saying is bogus.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yes, and in that light he's not at all comparable to the captain of the Costa Concordia. In fact, I'd say he's only contrastable.
    I don't think most people will disagree with you (certainly not me), but I think that every election in the near future is going to be a multibillion dollar election, and you can't spend all that money in just a few months.

16. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Because this one is comparing him to a person that through his negligence resulted in the death of people only a short few weeks ago and of which the bodies of some haven't even been found yet. And the cowardly Captain jumped off the ship (or fell into a lifeboat..yeah right) while some of his passengers drowned. That's what set this particular lambast apart.

I mean at least wait until the bodies are all found for crying out loud. Way too soon to be making light of this incident or political comparisons which aren't even valid.