RNC chief threatens GOP candidates who won’t support Donald Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Sep 19, 2016.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

When you can't get their endorsement willingly, blackmail them instead!

I always knew that Preibus was a shady slimeball, but wow...he's just going on mafia now....It would be a shame if anything happened to your future presidential prospects.

And why? Will Donald Trump's success rise and fall under the endorsement of Bush, Kasich or Fiorina? I say no. Thus I think Preibus is just being petty here.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/sep/18/reince-priebus-rnc-chief-threatens-john-kasich-oth/

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

DNC is a private group and they can rig or show preference to whomever they wish.

the RNC as a private group can do the same, unless liberals of course start crying about it :D

3. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Seriously? You don't think it's bad to lean on people and threaten them in order to force support?

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It's too late for the GOP and Priebus knows it. He's an empty suit now on autopilot.

5. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Is that any worse than a supposedly neutral organization actively helping their preferred candidate?

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

their group/their problem, don't like it? leave the group.

Debbie quit amid the scandal and got hired by crooked Hillary. I don't see the problem here.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

About as bad as the DNC rigging their process and stacking the deck against Sanders. Preibus is likely gone after the elections.

8. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I think both are bad. Not really a contest here. Actively helping vs. blackmailing.

9. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

oh look, people giving them a pass because of the R next to their name. If this was a D next to their name they'd be all up in arms about it.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

they are BOTH crooked, but if liberals are more than happy to give the DNC a pass why should republicans be any different? :D

11. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

It's good to see someone grow a pair and call out others who are not fulfilling their obligations. If they want to be part of a party, they need to be part of the party.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Did I give them a pass? I simply stated it's as bad as the **** the DNC pulled against Sanders. No where did I state I excused it. They are political parties and as such are both corrupt. One party wants to lean on it's members to support their candidate. That isn't any worse or better than the other trying to stack the deck in favor of their preferred choice. The difference is Preibus isn't hiding what he wants.

13. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No. I beleive country before party. Not party before country. If they truly think a man has demonstrated themselves to be unsuitable in the months after the primary, I would not expect them to support him.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And what party does Trump want to be in? He flips his views about as much as a line cook flips pancakes.

15. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

If they want money and support for their campaigns, they've got to do their part, it's how it works.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2016 ---
    No matter what party a candidate wants to be from perceived values, the party they signed the contract with is their party.

16. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

my my don't we sound like the democrats who the republicans have been mocking Clinton for "playing the game"

17. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

People are following and voting for Trump because he is not part of the established parties and will buck the system. The fact that he can have the republicans bend to their own rules is hilarious!

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem is a majority of the party isn't bending.

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Both parties are about winning. It's what national political committees and their (real) ability to discipline for going astray are all about. What they have on offer is money for ads, and connections for donor lists and some organizational assitance with ground game. Both parties messed up this year. The DNC was seen as not impartial and the RNC was seen (once again) as not having a strategy or the numbers to extract a generally electable candidate from the raw-meat season of primary contest.

But the RNC messed up even worse than the DNC this year, by having inadequate rules and allowing the machine to be overrun by populists who've supported an incompetent candidate. Not just one who's a little too far off the beaten path to win. Far enough off the beaten path to disengage their establishment base from even bothering to come out and vote, possibly. When you have elected officials in your party disavowing the candidate, you also have a problem with your electorate. That's the GOP rignt now.

Look at the indies and Republicans who won't vote for Clinton and won't vote for Trump and who just sigh now when someone says "yeah but down-ballot races are important too". They aren't going to vote! They don't even care about the Supreme Court picks thing now. They're just disgusted. And the demographics of that disgust still favor Clinton by traditional registration and voting patterns. This should be making the GOP leadership crazy but apparently it's only making the down ballot candidates crazy!

Meanwhile Trump blathers on insulting yet another 10k potential GOP/indie voters every time he gets a laugh at some rally pitching to his base by going off script from whatever Conway and Bannon have suggested.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The only question regarding Reince is if he ever gets another job in politics again.

21. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

The fact that you think he is not part of the established parties is the thing that's really hilarious. Trump is not the political outsider that he has fooled you into believing he is. And once he agreed to run as a Republican (sign the contract as you call it) he officially became one of them.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

"The Kenosha Operative"... has a certain B movie ring to it.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Does he want another job in politics? After the Trump fiasco ends he might want to run as far away as possible.

24. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Well, his name actually does spell RNC PR BS when you take out the vowels. I am not sure there is a more suitable more perfect job for him out there. :D

25. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I don't really see it as blackmailing. He's saying support the Parties candidate or don't expect any funds come your next re-election. They can always form their own Party or join another existing Party.