RNC: Community Organizers 'Appalled' by Their Portrayal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    http://www.nysun.com/new-york/community-organizers-appalled-by-their-portrayal/85253/
    Honestly... can you imagine if the DNC mocked being on the PTA or City Council as a peek into Palin's character? Obama comes out of law school, and serves as community organizer for 3 years before teaching constitutional law and being a civil rights lawyer... and this is a "bad" thing?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SwwO00aWqM

The Obama campaign released a video. Pretty classy comeback.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcRA2AZsR2Q
    ~ CB

2. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Yeah, I have several friends who are community organizers, and the e-mails have been FLYING!

But they aren't shocked by the statements, just energized to work harder for Obama's victory. ;)

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Interesting commercial -- but way too long.

Change is great and all that.

But how are you going to do it? Who is going to pay for it? Etc. Etc.

4. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

what palin said was not meant to insult community organizers, it was to show obama's lack of executive experience.

5. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

6. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

That's BS.

It was a direct attack on his work, and everyone knows it. The audience knew it to, judging from their jubilant reaction.

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

The issue isn't that community organizer is a poor accomplishment. It's that it's one of Obama's only accomplishments. The fact he has so little experience, he has to tout "community organizer" as one of his main accomplishments is revealing. There's nothing wrong with being a community organizer. The issue is that it's the only time Obama has ever led anything.

8. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Steve, go watch the speeches again. Read the words. They were mocking the entire notion of "community organizer". They think it is a non-entity to being a qualification. I mean, I can slow down the tape for you, but its VERY clear they're belittling the actual position. Did you hear how Palin put it?
    9iul1an1, especially went out of his way to keep saying "community organizer", and laughing. The truth is, if they were actually trying to contrast his qualifications, they would not simply stop at one point in his resume and just keep poking fun at it. They sincerely think the profession is beneath contempt. You might as well be selling girl scout cookies.

Time Blog post:
    What a Community Organizer Does
    http://time-blog.com/swampland/2008/09/what_a_community_organizer_doe.html
    ~ CB

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The GOP is ideologically bankrupt.

Supply-side schemes have destroyed our economy, and the tax cuts have left record deficits for future generations. Their "free market" healthcare system is not working, and to ask people buried in credit card debt to simply set aside their leftover money for an HSA shows a laughable disconnect from reality.

Their energy plan is to have none, and they have stood idly by while market manipulation progressed from Enron brownouts to Exxon $4 gas. They have allowed special interests to run roughshod over the middle class, bilking them out of billions.

Their social program cuts have left a subclass of impoverished Americans unable to recover and without hope for their children. Moralistic nanny state actions have alienated millions of Americans and deprived them of God-given rights, simply to appeal to a vocal segment who worship at the altar of intolerance on Sundays.

Our belligerence has cost us a trillion dollars, the respect of the international community and thousands of lives.

So what do they have left that's worth having? John McCain was a POW in Vietnam and has had a long and distinguished career in the Senate. That's it. And that, I'm sorry, is not enough today. Not after eight long years of watching our nation be dismantled and sold off by corporate liquidators.

If we as a nation cannot stand up to the severity and obviousness of this disgrace, if we cannot shrug off this shame now, then I am certain we will never recover.

10. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Actually, its something he did for 3 years when he got out of college, and this is after he was president of the Harvard Law Review, graduating magnum cum laude. You would honestly believe that the man simply started running for President at that point? You're smarter than that. Not only did he practice as a civil rights attorney and become a state legislature for almost a decade, he also taught constitutional law.

If you don't think the teachers and professors of our country are leaders, then I feel sorry for you. My sister is a teacher, and she's done a lot for her students. One of our best family friends was a teacher, and when she was brutally murdered, the out pouring of love and admiration from the community of those who's minds and hearts she'd touched, was breathtaking. Moreover, the tired, pathetic excuse about "executive experience" is only worthy of a "ditto head".

If you stop yourself.. just for a moment... you'll realize that Palin's "executive experience" argument actually means that not ONLY should the GOP have easily picked Mitt Romney over McCain (Romney has infinitely more executive experience than McCain OR Palin)... but that Palin has far more "executive experience" than McCain, and should probably be on the top of the ticket and not the bottom. --this of course, is a very simple-minded argument that should earn the person making it, a thorough psychological examination for signs of mental deterioration. McCain's 3 decades and Biden's 3 decades of senatorial service are meaningless before Palin's amazing "experience"?

Hogwash, and you know it. But... just in case you need more info:
    http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/The/gG5tCk
    ~ CB

11. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

How odd... it appears, that after all the Obama bashing... McCain has stepped in and poo-pooed all of his surrogates. He then took a decidedly different stand on the "community organizer" issue and almost wagged his finger at previous speakers:
    McCain's "honor" is going to lose him this election yet... but good on him for showing it off. Certainly why so many love him, including Joe Biden who's repeatedly said he'll NEVER change his tone on liking McCain.

~ CB

12. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

It really shocked me when she went after Obama's public service. Such vitriol, and barely contained rage. For what? Because the Big Gay Liberal Media Elites™ brought up her history as a small town mayor?

She needs to keep in mind, Obama was a Community Organizer when he was 24. What was she up to then? Or is that off limits too? Am I sexist for asking?

This ticket is so angry, apparently at themselves.

I thought this was a fun quote:

13. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

cartoon-385_391981a.jpg

I wonder if the "gun-toting, god-fearing" Palin and company realise that Jesus and his disciples were community organisers and Pontius Pilate was a governor?

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Which is BS because McCain doesn't have ANY more executive experience than Obama.

And it was something he did right out of college for a few years, it's not like he was doing it up until he ran for president. He has been in politics for 12+ years after all.....

15. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/09/04/organizers-respond-palin/

Oh, yeah... its on. They're stired the hornets nest.
    Even the women on the View pointed it out as a low point.
    ~ CB

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Bingo. I see now all the Palin-haters have now have become a community organizer's best friend where they didn't even know what one was before wednesday night.

Uhh, what? McCain has more life experience than Obama. McCain was also a Navy Captain. You're really going to tout "executive experience"?

17. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Like those who are suddenly Sarah Palin's best friend when they didn't know who she was a week ago.

The thing is, if it weren't for community organizers keeping Rudy in check during his 2nd term as mayor here in NYC, he would be the one under investigation for abuse of power.

18. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Has LITTLE to do with Palin (So, is it that she can't be criticized for her own words now... I thought it was just "family" issues, boy how it spreads). This was a GOP talking point that was worked into her speech. I mean, it could be just a coincidence that a few of the night's speakers scoffed at the worth of being a community organizer, but we're all smarter than that. At least I'd hope so. Also... I think English can be difficult sometimes as a language, but for a two-word phrase, I can't imagine why it would be so hard to define for anyone unless you've never stepped foot in a community center or soup kitchen.
    I'm surprised at you. You DO realize that its the Republicans that are running the whole "executive experience" commentary, right? It's the whole "mayor/governor" thing they're pushing with Palin. For Dems or Obama supporters, even bringing it up is clearly a "response", not a line of argument.

Disingenuous.

~ CB

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I can't imagine how someone can say "Obama has just as much executive experience as McCain" without spitting out their drink. If you believe thats true back it up. Even Obama doesn't declare that. Talk about "disingenuous".

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

"experience" is like ho's clothes, comes up when GOP like it, comes off when GOP doesn't

Vietnam Vet? another ho's clothes, comes up when GOP has McCain, comes off when Dem had John Kerry.

"female power"? another one, comes up when GOP has Palin, comes off when Dem still had Hillary.

Get real, I don't believe for a minute about any human virtues in these politicians. Just vote Dem, there will be better than GOP for sure.

These politicians abused the human virtue to a degree that is disgusting...

21. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Well when they talk about executive experience they keep talking about Mayor and Governor, offices which McCain has never held, he's only been a legislator. His "executive experience" as defined by the GOP is zero, exactly the same as Obama's. I grant that the life experience is more in McCain's favor but if the election were about experience we'd be running Jimmy Carter against George H.W. Bush since they are the only two citizens in this country who have the experience that everyone is obsessed with and are eligible to run.

Actually I'd almost prefer a box on the ballot that you could use to vote a straight "not incumbent" ticket just like you can vote straight Dem or straight GOP.

22. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Not to split hairs, and I could be wrong on this point, but the limit of a presidency to 2 terms is only 2 consecutive terms, so I think Bill Clinton is technically eligible to run again--not that it would happen.

23. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

No you cannot be elected more than twice... see the 22nd Ammendment. There is nothing about consecutive terms. If Bill Clinton had been eligible he would have run in 2004, of that I have no doubt.

24. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

No one on the Obama or Democratic side is making stupid arguments like that one as anything OTHER than a response (an admittedly poor one) to the equally poor arguments by the GOP about "more executive experience". Seriously, its a non-issue for Democrats. And if YOU think that Sarah Palin has more executive experience than McCain, feel free to tell that to Republicans all day long, because this apparently matters to them. Just don't get it confused and this Democrats or Obama supporters are as confused that "executive experience" is anything other than a "farcical" discussion, as its currently being conducted. You know I'm right. Not sure what you're playing at.

~ CB

25. Aranince macrumors 65816

I was watching the news, this one Obama supporter came up to this man and asked "What do you think about Palin's inexperience?" The guy replied "She has been a mayor, she has been a governor, she has lead the national guard. Now let me ask you, what has Obama done?" The interviewer paused, then said "Okay, we will end the interview right here, thank you."