Road Rage Tied To Agressive Driving

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As road rage fatalities rise, police crack down on aggressive driving

On a daily basis driving in my community, I deal with tailgaters and weavers, individuals aggressively driving to achieve a one car advantage.

A report on MSNBC discussed the issue of road rage tiring it to a report on the relationship to agressive driving. Of note, one of the videos they showed included a man who followed another car home and as he approaches the other group, his wife hands him a gun to use in the confrontation to intimidate. No one was killed, but it illustrates how a reasonable person with a gun close at hand will be tempted to take an adversarial encounter to another level.

Expecting a counter from the local MR gun lobby, lol. :)

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
This incident happened just a couple weeks ago, where the mother drops her daughter off at home and takes her son (and their gun) to track down the guy who eventually shot her to death in her driveway.

Guns and cars. Not a good combination.

New police details raise questions in family’s version of deadly road rage shooting

Metro Homicide Lt. Ray Steiber said Tammy Meyers, 44, and her adult son went out looking Thursday night for a vehicle she had nearly collided with earlier that evening.

The mother and son found that vehicle and followed it, Steiber said during a news conference.

At some point, Steiber said, the other vehicle began following Meyers and her son. It went all the way to their home.

Someone in the other vehicle then opened fire, Steiber said, and Meyers was hit in the head. She died Saturday.

Early Thursday night, Meyers had been giving driving lessons to her daughter in a parking lot at Johnson Junior High School, 7701 Ducharme Ave.

On the way home, with the mother driving, a speeding vehicle approached them from behind, Steiber said. That vehicle then passed Meyers’ car, and her daughter reached over from the passenger seat to honk the horn.

Then the other car stopped in front of Meyers’ car, Steiber said. The driver stepped out and threatened her, so she sped away.

Meyers went home, dropped off her daughter, and woke up her 22-year-old son, Steiber said. The mother and son left minutes later in search of the other car.

Her son was carrying a gun that was registered to him, Steiber said.

Police gave no details on whether words were exchanged once the mother and son found the other vehicle and its occupants — or where or how they found the vehicle. Metro only said that vehicle eventually went to the Meyers home in the 7900 block of Mt. Shasta Circle.

At some point after Meyers and her son left their vehicle and entered their home, Steiber said, someone in the other car fired and struck Meyers.

Meyers’ son returned fire at the other vehicle, Steiber said.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas/new-police-details-raise-questions-family-s-version-deadly-road-rage-shooting

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget

On a daily basis driving in my community, I deal with tailgaters and weavers, individuals aggressively driving to achieve a one car advantage.

A report on MSNBC discussed the issue of road rage tiring it to a report on the relationship to agressive driving. Of note, one of the videos they showed included a man who followed another car home and as he approaches the other group, his wife hands him a gun to use in the confrontation to intimidate. No one was killed, but it illustrates how a reasonable person with a gun close at hand will be tempted to take an adversarial encounter to another level.

who used the gun? a)the guy that followed or b)the guy being followed?

if
A<<<< charge him.
if
B)<<<<<<< then good job.

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010
who used the gun? a)the guy that followed or b)the guy being followed?

if
A<<<< charge him.
if
B)<<<<<<< then good job.
The incident involving the gun in the story video, was a husband and wife that followed a group of kids to their house. when they got out of their car, the husband approached the kids and got his ass kicked. His wife went back to the car to get the handgun and fired a round.

The husband and wife were charged. As they should have been.

DonJudgeMe

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
Arizona
The incident involving the gun in the story video, was a husband and wife that followed a group of kids to their house. when they got out of their car, the husband approached the kids and got his ass kicked. His wife went back to the car to get the handgun and fired a round.

The husband and wife were charged. As they should have been.
Yeah, the way you described it in your OP made it sound as if a gun was given to the driver before the approach of the incident. The wife firing the gun was obviously a warning to the kids beating the **** out of her husband... he didn't even have the gun....

So, a gun prevented death-by-foot(in all actuality).

What does the gun have anything to do with this?

Edit: if you think that the guy used the gun as a backup for intimidation, then why not take it to the brawl?

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010
Yeah, the way you described it in your OP made it sound as if a gun was given to the driver before the approach of the incident. The wife firing the gun was obviously a warning to the kids beating the **** out of her husband... he didn't even have the gun....

So, a gun prevented death-by-foot(in all actuality).

Edit: if you think that the guy used the gun as a backup for intimidation, then why not take it to the brawl?
Indeed.

Also, out of the 4 or 5 incidents in the segment, it was the only one with a firearm.

What does the gun have anything to do with this?
Huntn doesn't like guns.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
I outgrew road rage and aggressive driving. I agree, both are hand in hand.

I wonder if things like sugar, caffeine, and nicotine play a part in aggressive/road rage driving.

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011

I wonder if things like sugar, caffeine, and nicotine play a part in aggressive/road rage driving.
Sadly I can't say I have yet.

Sugar, caffeine, and nicotine playing a part? Sure, why not? They're aways a convenient scapegoat for personal responsibility.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Highways need to move people efficiently or they are going to get very cranky. Friday, I drove down I-95 past DC and was surprised to see special ez pass toll express lanes for those in a hurry. The rates change depending on time of day. This is a great idea and helps ease congestion for everyone.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Good for you!

I'm a very non-aggressive driver. But, I do limit my caffeine intake to only 3-5 cups of coffee per day.

Sugar? Never touch the stuff. (Likewise nicotine.) But, for a lot of people, eating a lot of sugar would actually make them sleepy.

In my observation, aggressive driving/road rage is all about attitude. (Although I believe that a truck driver who tried to run me off the road one night was probably using amphetamines.)

satcomer

macrumors 603
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Highways need to move people efficiently or they are going to get very cranky. Friday, I drove down I-95 past DC and was surprised to see special ez pass toll express lanes for those in a hurry. The rates change depending on time of day. This is a great idea and helps ease congestion for everyone.
Those are a Public/Private partnership Lanes that only except the E-Z Pass (no cash/coin). They are also on VA side of the Beltway too. You can learn about it at the VA ExpressLanes site.

Last edited:

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010

IMO it's very important at what time of the day that you drive, I would imagine that road rage is more common in peak hours. I noticed a when I retired that stress levels dropped, I drove mostly in off peak times, and I was not on a deadline to get to my destination.

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
IMO it's very important at what time of the day that you drive, I would imagine that road rage is more common in peak hours. I noticed a when I retired that stress levels dropped, I drove mostly in off peak times, and I was not on a deadline to get to my destination.
I try to get all my non-work related driving done between 10am and 2pm as I've found that to be the least stressful time to drive. Simple stress reduction measures like this really go a long way to improving my life.

CalWizrd

Suspended
Jun 21, 2011
NYC/Raleigh, NC
As I recall, you've got a hell of a beautiful Cobra, so I'm happy to hear you drive during off peak hours.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
As I recall, you've got a hell of a beautiful Cobra, so I'm happy to hear you drive during off peak hours.

I will tell you when driving a classic car all the rules change. (Of course I only take my baby out in the sunny days)

When people honk at you they mostly shout “Great car” “Do you want to swap” and once three colleage age girls put up a sign “Marry me”.:eek:
This is across all ages, and genders, people nearly always smile and give the thumbs up.

I have lost count of the number of times, that when traffic is gridlocked, people have got out of their cars to take photos. They always ask how fast can it go, and I see a smile on their faces, some ask how many MPG, and I then see the smile fade.:)

Once when it started to rain, as my car doesn’t have any sort of roof, a woman gave me her umbrella, while we were stuck in traffic.:)

The same people don’t give you the time of the day, if you are driving a modern Mercedes or a Fiat.:(

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Rage all you want in your car...approach my vehicle with bad, violent intentions and expect lots of high velocity projectiles in your direction. Or I could run you over. Makes no difference to me.