Road Rage Tied To Agressive Driving

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

As road rage fatalities rise, police crack down on aggressive driving

On a daily basis driving in my community, I deal with tailgaters and weavers, individuals aggressively driving to achieve a one car advantage.

A report on MSNBC discussed the issue of road rage tiring it to a report on the relationship to agressive driving. Of note, one of the videos they showed included a man who followed another car home and as he approaches the other group, his wife hands him a gun to use in the confrontation to intimidate. No one was killed, but it illustrates how a reasonable person with a gun close at hand will be tempted to take an adversarial encounter to another level.

Expecting a counter from the local MR gun lobby, lol. :)

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This incident happened just a couple weeks ago, where the mother drops her daughter off at home and takes her son (and their gun) to track down the guy who eventually shot her to death in her driveway.

Guns and cars. Not a good combination.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

who used the gun? a)the guy that followed or b)the guy being followed?

if
    A<<<< charge him.
    if
    B)<<<<<<< then good job.

4. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

The incident involving the gun in the story video, was a husband and wife that followed a group of kids to their house. when they got out of their car, the husband approached the kids and got his ass kicked. His wife went back to the car to get the handgun and fired a round.

The husband and wife were charged. As they should have been.

5. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Whenever I hear of aggressive driving or road rage it always makes me think of Marge Simpson in her gigantic Canyonero.

[​IMG]

6. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Yeah, the way you described it in your OP made it sound as if a gun was given to the driver before the approach of the incident. The wife firing the gun was obviously a warning to the kids beating the **** out of her husband... he didn't even have the gun....

So, a gun prevented death-by-foot(in all actuality).

What does the gun have anything to do with this?

Edit: if you think that the guy used the gun as a backup for intimidation, then why not take it to the brawl?

7. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I'll never be in favor of irresponsible people owning or using guns.

(Not that I qualify as the "local MR gun lobby", just my $0.02)

8. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Indeed.

Also, out of the 4 or 5 incidents in the segment, it was the only one with a firearm.

Huntn doesn't like guns.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I outgrew road rage and aggressive driving. I agree, both are hand in hand.

I wonder if things like sugar, caffeine, and nicotine play a part in aggressive/road rage driving.

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I tend to get my heaviest daily doses of caffeine and nicotine while I'm driving, and I haven't murdered anyone on the road yet.

And by haven't, I mean haven't been indicted.

11. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Sadly I can't say I have yet.

Sugar, caffeine, and nicotine playing a part? Sure, why not? They're aways a convenient scapegoat for personal responsibility.

12. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Highways need to move people efficiently or they are going to get very cranky. Friday, I drove down I-95 past DC and was surprised to see special ez pass toll express lanes for those in a hurry. The rates change depending on time of day. This is a great idea and helps ease congestion for everyone.

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Good for you!

I'm a very non-aggressive driver. But, I do limit my caffeine intake to only 3-5 cups of coffee per day.

Sugar? Never touch the stuff. (Likewise nicotine.) But, for a lot of people, eating a lot of sugar would actually make them sleepy.

In my observation, aggressive driving/road rage is all about attitude. (Although I believe that a truck driver who tried to run me off the road one night was probably using amphetamines.)

14. satcomer, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Those are a Public/Private partnership Lanes that only except the E-Z Pass (no cash/coin). They are also on VA side of the Beltway too. You can learn about it at the VA ExpressLanes site.

15. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Good to,know! :)

16. kds1 Suspended

kds1

You are so funny. :D

17. Happybunny macrumors 68000

IMO it's very important at what time of the day that you drive, I would imagine that road rage is more common in peak hours. I noticed a when I retired that stress levels dropped, I drove mostly in off peak times, and I was not on a deadline to get to my destination.

18. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Road rage tied to aggressive driving? The hell you say.

19. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I try to get all my non-work related driving done between 10am and 2pm as I've found that to be the least stressful time to drive. Simple stress reduction measures like this really go a long way to improving my life.

20. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

As I recall, you've got a hell of a beautiful Cobra, so I'm happy to hear you drive during off peak hours.

21. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I will tell you when driving a classic car all the rules change. (Of course I only take my baby out in the sunny days)

When people honk at you they mostly shout “Great car” “Do you want to swap” and once three colleage age girls put up a sign “Marry me”.:eek:
    This is across all ages, and genders, people nearly always smile and give the thumbs up.

I have lost count of the number of times, that when traffic is gridlocked, people have got out of their cars to take photos. They always ask how fast can it go, and I see a smile on their faces, some ask how many MPG, and I then see the smile fade.:)

Once when it started to rain, as my car doesn’t have any sort of roof, a woman gave me her umbrella, while we were stuck in traffic.:)

The same people don’t give you the time of the day, if you are driving a modern Mercedes or a Fiat.:(

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Rage all you want in your car...approach my vehicle with bad, violent intentions and expect lots of high velocity projectiles in your direction. Or I could run you over. Makes no difference to me.

23. sim667 macrumors 65816

Angry people doing angry things..... quelle surprise.

24. FieldingMellish Suspended

Nothing that a well-placed pomegranate wouldn't handle.