Road Trip: San Diego, CA to Seattle, WA. Surfing! Advice?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CalPoly10, Mar 23, 2009.

1. CalPoly10 macrumors regular

Hey there. I am relocating for a job in the beginning of June to Seattle, WA. I will be leaving from San Diego, California. I was given the option to fly or drive, and either route will be fully paid for by the company.

I chose to drive, because they said they would pay for 4 nights of lodging, all mileage, and per diem expenses (food).

I plan on taking the PCH (Highway 1) for the entire route north of Sacramento. I've seen everything South of San Francisco, so I will take Interstate 5 to that point and drive as fast as I can. I plan on really taking my time once I get up to Northern California on the coast, and also through Oregon's Coast and Washington's Coast.

I'm wondering if fellow MRers have stayed in any of these areas. Particularly anywhere on the Coast between Sacramento and Southern Washington. Any advice on good places to stay, eat, hang out? Bars?

I plan on driving during the day, arriving at my location around 3PM, surfing, then finding a hotel. Then I will shower up, hang out, grab food, go to a bar, and relax. Then in the morning, I will go surfing, come back, shower up, and hit the road again.

This will also be a big photography trip for me. I plan on taking lots of pictures in the forests and on the coast.

Any pointers? Thanks.

2. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

golds beach on the southern oregon coast is nice.. seaside is also nice.. thats closer up in nothern oregon.. they have the best clam chowder at a restaurant called doogers.. seaside is pretty touristy though.. all the beach towns on the oregon and washington coast are pretty similar so whatever you choose will be just fine..

3. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Congrats and good luck! Seattle is where I plan on retiring....in like 30 years... :D

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

so you figured out how to pass the drug test? :D

5. CalPoly10 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, someone remembered! I just took the test, and I passed. I had smoked about 10 days prior, but I am a really physically fit guy, and sure enough, it was out of my system.

6. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I have delivered to Toledo, OR a couple times and stayed on the water in Newport., it is a nice quiet pretty town. I don't have any advice on rooms there because I travel with my own room :)

7. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Sure, wear two wet suits and an ECW (extreme cold weather) jacket. Oh, Your coming in June! Well then its just the two wet suits that you will need and a beanie hat. :p

I know nothing about the route that you are taking but I wish I was there. Enjoy yourself and have fun.

8. CalPoly10 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll be wearing a 5/4/3 mm Suit, and will get some nice booties and gloves before I go. Think I'll be ok.

9. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

That is precisely the road trip I have had in the back of my mind for about five years now... I'm jealous. :)

10. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

It just so happened that one of the front page articles in the local paper was about swimming in Puget Sound during the Spring months.

Seattle Times Article

11. CalPoly10 thread starter macrumors regular

Wait, can you surf in that area? I mean, are there swells (in Puget Sound)?

I am bringing my board up the coast, but I thought the only surfing could happen if I headed west and to the coast.