"Roam like at home" in EU/EEA from June 15

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by giggles, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giggles, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017

giggles macrumors 6502

Tomorrow is the day.

Iceland to Sicily, Cyprus to the Azores, we'll be able to use calls/sms/data at no additional cost in EU28 + EEA (Iceland/Norway/Liechtenstein) with our own national carrier SIM.

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/faq/frequently-asked-questions-roam-home

I was a bit concerned about the fair use clause (hope it will be dropped eventually) but honestly even the "punishment" for abuse isn't that bad (+0.032€/min, +0.010€/sms, plus 7.7€/GB for data gradually decreasing to 2.5€/GB by 2022).

One weird loophoole is that when abroad your plan actually gets "more powerful" 'cause you can call any mobile/landline in EU/EEA at no additional cost (as per questions 10 and 11 of the FAQ). Eventually I feel they should just go full single market and call it a day.

Switzerland being EFTA but not EEA is staying out of the accord.

We'll see what happens to UK in 2019 and if they get less-than-EEA status (or just strike a specific bilateral deal on the issue within the Brexit negotiations).

Have some nice travels this summer :)

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

About time, it has been a bit of a pain from time to time.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Its a great thing, but unfortunately many of the companies they just regulate by increasing the regular prices. Some does, some doesn't. Its worth to check up on.

At least for costumers, it lowers the chance of getting a crazy high unanticipated bill when you get home.

4. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

5. daflake macrumors 6502a

Right now, yes... :p

6. weckart macrumors 68040

It won't. That clause is to prevent carrier shopping. People would just find a way to buy the cheapest contracts within the EU and perma-roam in their home countries.

7. sim667 macrumors 65816

Its a shame the UK will be out of this soon.

8. weckart macrumors 68040

Well, yes. This and other goodies like the ERDF. It will be a brave govt. that would propose scrapping this just because of Brexit, though.

9. giggles, Jun 14, 2017

giggles thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I meant "eventually" like next decade in a real digital single market, if it ever comes to that.

Before that, maybe relax the clause based on the country where your legal residence is? It's not like people will keep their residence in their previous country just to save a couple of € on their mobile plan, if they live and work stably in a new country. Just require that your legal residence and the country of the carrier match, to have access to an "unlocked" form of RLAH, so you can spend like 8 months abroad and use your main mobile full time without necessarily grabbing a local prepaid.

Also, establish a no-question-asked exception for students, as it's not uncommon to spend 6 months, 1 year or 2 years studying in another EU country university. And that would constitute abuse (more time abroad than home over the span of 4 months) currently.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Yes, it bloody well is. :mad:

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given the conservatives still don't have a plan for leaving the EU I'm not sure we actually will.

12. daflake macrumors 6502a

I actually hope it doesn't happen. I think it was a pretty dumb move, but given the current political climate of my country, it looks like the greatest plan ever!

13. cube macrumors G5

They should be able to stay in the EEA. People just voted for leaving the EU with no specific details, no matter what the pundits might say.

14. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Unless you manage to get a second vote after the talks, before the final decision. Two years is a long time, and by then many 16-17yo (overwhelmingly remainers) will have gained the right to vote, and quite a few senior citizens (mostly leavers) will have lost the ability to vote. That's without even taking into account the momentum lost by the Right and the Leave campaign (look at the UKIP now).

15. cube macrumors G5

That is nothing. Wait until the UK falls out of Open Skies.

16. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

More like 1.5 years if you want to revote on it.
    Less than 1 year if you want the possibilty of furthers negotiations after such a vote.

Tick...tick...tock....

17. MLVC macrumors 6502

MLVC

My (Dutch) provider actually also includes Switzerland in the "roam like at home" countries. Might be worth checking your provider if you plan on traveling to/through Switzerland.

18. cube, Jun 14, 2017

cube macrumors G5

Beware of:

- Vatican
    - San Marino
    - Monaco
    - Andorra
    - Gibraltar
    - Isle of Man
    - Channel Islands
    - Faroe Islands
    - Switzerland

19. giggles thread starter macrumors 6502

Indeed.

The tariffs outlined by the law are minimum requirements, carriers are free to offer better deals based on their wholesale agreements.

As long as the default option costs 0€ and covers at least the 28+3 countries.

In some cases and with some carriers I think one will have to temporarily switch option (from 28+3_RLAH to whatever international paid option the carrier used to offer) just before going on a trip if he plans to spend most of the trip in Switzerland or Turkey (if not included in the free tier). Or at least that's how it worked with the Eurotariff that leaded to RLAH.

20. MLVC macrumors 6502

MLVC

Except for Channel Islands, all are included by my provider (KPN in the Netherlands)

21. cube macrumors G5

Did you check if they are listed individually?

22. MLVC macrumors 6502

MLVC

Yes (and come to think of it, I think they included the Channel Islands separately):

A Andorra, Azoren
    B België, Bulgarije
    C Canarische eilanden, Cyprus (Grieks gedeelte)
    D Denemarken, Duitsland
    E Estland
    F Faeröer, Finland, Frankrijk, Frans Guyana
    G Gibraltar, Griekenland, Guadeloupe, Guernsey
    H Hongarije
    I Ierland, IJsland, Isle of Man, Italië
    J Jersey
    K Kroatië
    L Letland, Litouwen, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg
    M Madeira, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte, Monaco
    N Nederland, Noorwegen
    O Oostenrijk
    P Polen, Portugal
    R Réunion, Roemenië
    S Saint Martin, San Marino, Slovenië, Slowakije, Spanje
    T Tsjechië
    V Vaticaanstad, Verenigd Koninkrijk
    Z Zweden, Zwitserland

https://www.kpn.com/mobiel-abonnement/bundels/buitenland/roaming-eu.htm

23. cube macrumors G5

Guernsey, Jersey.

Faroe Islands are also there.

Very good.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Gotta love the consumer friendly regulations the EU "forces" on us :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.