Rob Ford Scandals

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by The Leafs Fan, Nov 7, 2013.

1. The Leafs Fan, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

The Leafs Fan macrumors 6502a

The Leafs Fan

I live in Toronto, and our Mayor, Rob Ford, is an embarrassment to this great city. He's been accused of alcoholism, smoking crack cocaine, sexual harassment, and many other sordid activities. Two days ago, Rob Ford admitted to smoking crack in one of his " drunken stupors", apologizes, forgives himself, and tells the city to go back to work. I have no idea who voted this guy in, and what I really don't understand is that his approval ratings are increasing:eek:.
    Sound off in this thread with your opinions of Rob Ford, or anything else related to this great city.

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Politicians taking class A drugs. Not exactly anyone's business.

Drugs have a seedy image, that needs to change. We need more open, science based debate on drugs so people stop thinking they're only used by 'bums living on the street'.

As for the sexual harassment, if there's a case to answer, it should be answered in court, not the media.

What's his performance like in the job - that's what I'd be more interested in.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

In my mind Toronto is now linked to Washington DC's (the city) old mayor Marion Barry. So get ready for corruption with Rob Ford in the future.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think the fact that Toronto elected Rob Ford, an obese man intent on upholding the auto dependent nature of Canada's largest city while destroying its transit reflects poorly on the voters of Toronto. His drug use, IMO, is secondary .

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

6. The Leafs Fan thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Leafs Fan

I don't think so.

----------

It's very much our business if the mayor of our city using an illegal drug. Cocaine has shown very serious consequences on the human body. I just put the sexual harassment thing in there because I remembered hearing about it in the summer.

His performance on the job was and is still very much affected by all of these factors.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The "honorable" Mayor has a new video out. He needs to either resign or be removed from office.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/11/07/toronto-mayor-rob-ford-video-kill/3466877/

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

How is he destroying transit? He is getting a subway extension built to the poorest areas of the city and somehow got the Province to chip in for it to boot.

The liberal proposed LRT was a waste of time and the province already stated that they weren't going to fund it in anyway.

Above ground transit is what causes most of the traffic congestion in the downtown core. You have a streetcar blocking up two lanes of traffic to let people on and off on both sides of the street. Buses are much more efficient for above ground transit as they can pull to the side. This is coming from someone who uses the TTC for 100% of my travel.

----------

If you watch the video it sounds like hes talking about Mike Tyson, he says "in the ring" and the person watching it says something about Mike Tyson. Either way he is belligerently drunk, but we have other mayors/elected officials that are being charged with fraud and corruption at the same time. The liberal media coverage of those events are sidelined compared to a mayor smoking a drug a year ago.

9. The Leafs Fan thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Leafs Fan

I never liked the LRT idea, but it was more about money than how it would help decrease traffic congestion.

I really don't think we can say anything about the date of when any of this happened, that's up to the police to discover. It's a much bigger deal that a public figure who many citizens look up to is allegedly smoking crack cocaine then when a couple of senate members who up until now, most people probably never heard of, are charged with fraudulent behaviour and corruption.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

How much did the switcheroo cost again....

Wow, ZA, your apologies for one of Toronto's least respected mayors in the city's history is appalling. Don't you feel dirty for having done so? I would.

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I just find all of his antics hilarious. That said, he has done a good job with the transit system and I know a lot of people who will vote for him again.

Lastman also had some questionable actions and Miller didn't do anything he promised (so I've heard). Seems we can't really expect a perfect mayor these days.

12. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Been reading more about Ford and still not bothered about his drug use. I read a post elsewhere by a member who had commented on Ford's possible association with criminals, paying for the lease on a cocaine chop shop, as well as violence in several forms.

That to me is far more serious and needs investigated. If true he shouldn't just be removed, he should be in jail.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

14. The Leafs Fan thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Leafs Fan

It's too bad we can't remove him from office unless the police lay some charges against him. Speaking of which, I wonder what was in those Manila envelopes Lise was giving Ford in the secret meetings they had that the police documented.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

What exactly is the relevancy of his obesity? :confused:

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

A candidate whose platform was based on freeing the streets for cars and putting the trains underground which will cost untold billions more for all Canadians obviously is not one who uses transit when his girth is so large.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Or maybe he just realizes that traffic is congested as is and putting the slowest and most congestion causing mode of transit in the middle isn't a good idea. You realize we only have 3 subway lines right?

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

OK, so what exactly is the relevancy of his obesity? :confused:

19. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

well, i'm a scientist and while i don't think its the government's place to tell you what you can or can't put in your body, I can tell you that crack, or cocaine in general, is about one of the worst things you could ever put in your body. And a public official using cocaine probably shouldn't be in that position.

Maybe he's doing an amazing job, his drug and alcohol abuse not withstanding, but when you hear hoofbeats you should think horses before you think zebras, right?

----------

whether you agree or not, it seems to me like he addressed that in his post.

20. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

What if the drug use has helped him deal with the job and benefited society?

(I think your use of the expression is off-key here. ;))

21. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i think it's perfectly apropos and your what-if is the perfect example of why.

Notice how the expression is zebras, not unicorns. The point being yes - if you hear hoof beats it's entirely possible that what you hear is a zebra, but it's far more likely to be a horse.

So restated - it is entirely possible that smoking crack, drink driving and being publicly intoxicated repeatedly helped him "deal with the job and benefited society" but it's far more likely that he is just an out of control bing-bong on a power-trip and doesn't need to be in public office any longer.

22. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

You gave the expression, before I made the what if :D

That's why I said it was off-key.. and still think it is..

23. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

that makes no sense. i know the order of events... what are you talking about?

24. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Okay, I don't know why but I'm going to work with you on this.

Explain your expression. What do you think is the horse, and what do you think is the zebra, here.

25. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

Seriously?

Recreational drug an alcohol abuse can have a negative impact on your ability to perform your job but not always. However, it is more likely to negatively affect your job performance than it is to help it.

Therefore, in this case when it comes to the question of whether Mr. Ford's "drug use has helped him deal with the job and benefited society" or not, I think the most likely answer to that question is no.

This kind of drug use hurting his ability to perform his job adequately= horse
    This kind of drug use helping his ability to perform his job adequately = the zebra

It seems like you're coming at this with some sort of agenda. Are you opposed to drug laws?