Rogue agent in Washington, Devin Nunes's efforts to destroy the DoJ

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, May 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PracticalMac, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

It seems Devin Nunes is hard at work at undermining the DoJ, force Session's to resign, impeach Rosenstine, and disband the Muller investigations.

While I skimmed over a few articles, I do not quite understand all the details, but from what I think is happening:
    • Nunes has Ryan's support
    • Trying to identify a key and critically important source who's life may be in jeopardy.
    • Working with some other House Republicans to give cause for Articles of Impeachment against Rosenstine.
    • Producing highly critical information about Sessions that may force him to resign.
    • May be acting alone, but in support of #45 (yet WH did not approve a request for information).

What is very interesting to note, its involves only Republican members, attacking other Republicans (from what I read). The goal seems to end the investigation by effectively eviscerating the top of the DoJ leadership.

Nunes was the one who famously announced he had proof #45 was not involved in something (of, forgot the details), but in end it was discovered it was authored by the WH.

Dump o links here:
    Secret intelligence source who aided Mueller probe is at center of latest clash between Nunes and Justice Dept.
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/10/devin-nunes-trey-gowdy-robert-mueller-documents-580984
    https://splinternews.com/devin-nunes-doesn-t-seem-to-care-that-he-could-get-some-1825992741
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...dab596e8252_story.html?utm_term=.205be7d11b45

And:
    Fox News on latest news on activities just posted. (which is more convoluted).

Edit: to correct name David -> Devin

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

More Republican-on-Republican violence.

I didn’t think it was physically possibly to make us feel sorry for Jeff Sessions.

3. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Nunes is a traitor - he's trying to suppress a legitimate, legal investigation into a possible conspiracy with a hostile foreign government. So much for the GOP being the law and order party (the fiscal responsibility party, the family values party, etc.)

4. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Thanks for pointing out my error.
    Fixed.

5. TonyC28, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018

TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Yea that source might be kind of a big deal...
    If Christopher Steele and Glenn Simpson are allowed to know about it I think Devin Nunes can. Maybe Steele/Simpson didn't know who it was, but Simpson did claim that the FBI told Steele that they had a source on the inside.
    Actually I take that back, maybe they did know. When asked during his testimony if he knew who the insider was, Simpson declined to answer for security reasons.

6. TonyC28, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018

TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

All those articles pretty much add up to the same thing: there was a spy inside the Trump campaign. A spy, not a "source" , not an "asset", a spy. We know that it wasn't some speech writer or staffer who went rogue and started supplying information to the FBI because they are claiming this person was a previous FBI and CIA source and just his or her name being revealed is enough to risk "severe consequences including potential loss of human lives, damage to relationships with valued international partners, compromise of ongoing criminal investigations, and interference with intelligence activities."

The problem for the FBI is the timeline. We know Simpson testified in August 2017 that Steele told him that the FBI had someone on the inside:
    "Essentially what he told me was they had other intelligence about this matter from an internal Trump campaign source and that -- that they -- my understanding was that they believed Chris at this point -- that they believed Chris's information might be credible because they had other intelligence that indicated the same thing and one of those pieces of intelligence was a human source from inside the Trump organization."
    When asked if he knew who it was he declined to answer citing "security." It seems reasonable to infer from that response that he did know who it was.

He tried to take this back a few months later. I think he was telling the truth the first time for two reasons. One, he was pretty specific and when pressed on who it was his lawyer stepped in and they declined to answer for security reasons. He later tried to say it was Papadopolous but accounts of the timeline suggest he wouldn't have (shouldn't have) even heard of Papadopolous at the time of his testimony, and certainly not in the time period Steele supposedly told him of the insider. Second, why would Feinstein go public with his testimony with this potentially huge error?

According to newly leaked information reported on by the New York Times, the investigation began on July 31, 2016 based on what Papadopolous told Alexander Downer in a London pub. Apparently coincidentally, Christopher Steele first went to the FBI in the first week of July 2016. In mid-late September 2016 Steele met with the FBI again and that is when Simpson claims the FBI told Steele they had a source inside the Trump campaign. Also at the end of September 2016 Steele was told by Fusion GPS to start briefing certain reporters on the dossier. As I've said in other threads, I believe the briefing of reporters could prove to be very important.

A few possibilities:
    • Trump unknowingly hired someone in the campaign who happened to be a CIA/FBI spy
    • Between July 31, 2016 and mid-late September 2016 the FBI was able to plant someone inside the Trump campaign
    • The FBI was able to flip someone inside the Trump campaign who happened to be a spy for the CIA/FBI
    • We are dealing with two different sources inside the Trump campaign
    Obviously there are more possibilities and some of them start to get into the realm of conspiracy theory.

To me, the FBI/DOJ further hurt their credibility when they redacted benign things from the House Intelligence Committee's report. Isn't it fair to suspect them of trying to hide other things with redactions in the name of national security?

7. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

@TonyC28 That may be true, but Nunes seems to be also doing his own thing, not working with members of the House committee.

This stinks, and the fact it is all Republican makes it highly suspicions.

8. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

This whole thing has become partisan, hasn’t it?

9. Zenithal macrumors 604

I refer everyone to the late George Carlin and his views on names.

10. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Beginning to think there is some shadow government, run by #45 (not WH).

I dunno.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

You mean like a....deep state???????????
    :eek:

12. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

That what its called these hours?

13. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I like shadow government actually. Sounds much cooler.

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I don't remember who came up with the nickname, but it's one of the few that I really like amidst all the name calling: Dirty Devin, the Kremlin Gremlin. He really is a nasty piece of work.

15. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I updated my post to reflect the newly provided start date of the investigation, July 31, 2016.