Rogue Twitter Employee Deletes Donald Trump's Twitter

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Nov 3, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

http://ir.net/news/politics/128117/twitter-employee-deleted-donald-trumps-twitter-account/

Trump’s use of Twitter must have pissed off the wrong employee working at the social media company last night. Just before 7PM EST the President’s account vanished from Twitter. For a full 10-11 minutes thousands of Twitter users were shocked, wondering if the President suddenly decided to stop his use of the social media platform and delete his account as well as all 36,300 tweets that he has accumulated over the last several years. Some users speculated that perhaps his attorneys forced him to stop using the platform as it may be incriminating to him. After a long 10 minutes, the President’s account reappeared and within an hour and a half he started tweeting once more as if this entire ordeal did not even occur.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not funny in the least. (Although Americans thoroughly enjoyed that 11 minutes of peace)What if they tweeted, "The US just launched an attack on North Korea" or something just as dangerous. Twitter needs to get their **** together.

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Agree - but that tweet is more likely to come from Trump than someone wanting to delete his account.

4. Zwopple macrumors regular

This is why the president probably shouldn't be free wheeling tweets all day. It'd be very easy for a Twitter employee or hacker to start WW3 by announcing a declaration of war via Trump's account.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Why would anybody follow someone on Twitter and then complain about that user's tweets? :confused: Seems like it would make more sense to simply not follow that user.

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Because he's the President?

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

8. zin macrumors 6502

Twitter customer service agents have the power to delete accounts? How many other accounts that aren’t as popular as Donald Trump’s have they deleted?

We already know they censored half of the DNCLeak tweets.

9. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

See most of PRSI...

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Agreed, Twitter can't be trusted. Maybe the White House should assemble its own team of journalists, correspondents, and members of the media to disseminate information directly, instead of going through a private company like Twitter. This team could meet with some kind of cabinet liaison that has direct access to the president, to give daily briefings and answer questions. We can call it, the media pen. No that's silly, how about, the White House Press Corps? Yea, that sounds official.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't follow him, never have. You seem to be suggesting I should, simply by virtue of his Presidency.

12. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

No. I don't follow him. But that doesn't mean I don't check out what he's saying. I didn't make any judgement or assertion that you should follow him. You asked a question, I replied why people follow him even if they do not like him. When did this become about you?

13. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Trump's Tweets enter the news all the time, though, so even if you don't follow him on Twitter, you are still exposed to them in any number of other ways.

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The question I asked had nothing to do with people checking out what he's saying on Twitter, the question I asked was about people who follow the President and then complain about his tweets. The celebration which is the subject of this thread seems to focus on the relief many people enjoyed having his account deleted for a brief period. I simply questioned the reasoning behind following someone whose tweets you don't enjoy reading.

And it became about me because I haven't done a scientific study about how many people do or don't follow the President on Twitter, so I became a sample size of one. Your reply specifically said that because he's the President, people should follow him on Twitter, and complain about his tweets.

15. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

No - that's a leap. The logical conclusion based on your question is that people follow him or don't follow him regardless of whether they like him because he's the President.

16. hulugu, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Solid post. We're in a weird place where a main official channel of White House communications comes from what was just a few years ago, a dodgy little Internet company.

17. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

A perfect question for PRSI. So many people enjoy being miserable and I just don't understand it.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2017 ---
    I find that hard to believe with the barrage of threads started by you with his twitter being the main source.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Most presidents have press conferences or a press secretary that relay messages. Trump has Twitter to get his agenda out. So the only way to know the ideas in his crazy head to destroy us are through Twitter.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

There are so many news outlets covering Trump's tweets that it's almost impossible to avoid them. I think this is a serious flaw in modern journalism. We don't need breathless coverage of whatever bing-bong thing the President thumbs out.

That said, Trump's tweets do have real effects. Trump's tweets on the ban of transgender soldiers became actual policy, and this has caused problems as the administration has to argue that the policy change was part of a deliberative process in a lawsuit.

20. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I'll repeat (not sure why this is so hard to understand): Trump's Tweets enter the news all the time, so even if you're not following him on Twitter, you're still exposed to them.

My point is that I don't buy that all the people who were "relieved" were those who follow him on Twitter masochistically. That's stupid. I don't have to follow him (I don't even have a Twitter account) to hear about and see his Tweets frequently.

21. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

You do realize you can visit his twitter page any time without being a follower, right?

Nope. I don't follow him for a simple reason. I choose not to be part of his "x" number of followers on any social media. When he talks about how many followers he has (1/2 seem to be bots anyway) he seems to think everyone is someone who supports him. I don't want to be a part of any ego boost he might have.

I guess you're going to have to get over struggling to believe it.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That's why social media is such a danger. Previously White House communications whould be directly relayed from a podium. Now we are relaying positions and words through a third party service out of White House control.

That just doesn't seem to be a good idea.

23. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

This was greeted with much amusement on the Radio today. If you’re going to go, might as well disable the biggest clown on the planets account for a laugh before you do.

24. ActionableMango, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

At my company we have customer service agents that range from tier 1 free telephone support (have you tried rebooting your computer?) to full-on engineers with decades of experience who will fly out on site to fix a problem. And of course there are many levels in between.

So it wouldn't surprise me at all for some level of customer service agent to have account deleting ability...someone has to be able to do it.

But I bet after this incident, there's going to be more oversight or restrictions for doing so.