Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
In OS X, if you go to the Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar (close to the clock) and then select “Create Network...”, your Mac will create a sort of local network (not connected to the Internet obviously), and then other devices will be able to connect to the same network.

My question is, could a Roku 3 connect to a local network (created in a Mac), in order to use Plex and stream my movies from the computer to the TV, with no wireless router at all? Does it make sense?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Yes it will but it'll still look for an Internet connecting on that network. When it dosnt find one it'll fail. You can get round it by giving the Mac a temporary connection via a tethered iPhone etc

Reactions: iRock1

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Yes it will but it'll still look for an Internet connecting on that network. When it dosnt find one it'll fail.

I don't get it — if it doesn't work, why do you say “it will”? If the Roku doesn't find an Internet connection, then I guess it just won't connect to the local network.

Now, assuming that what I suggested in my first post is impossible, does it mean that is absolutely mandatory to have a home Internet connection and a wireless router in order to watch local content with a Roku? Now that would be absurd...

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I don't get it — if it doesn't work, why do you say “it will”? If the Roku doesn't find an Internet connection, then I guess it just won't connect to the local network.

Now, assuming that what I suggested in my first post is impossible, does it mean that is absolutely mandatory to have a home Internet connection and a wireless router in order to watch local content with a Roku? Now that would be absurd...
When it searches for wifi and try's to connect to a network part of the process is checking for an Internet connection at that point it'll come up with an error message. But you can trick it by tethering your iPhone with a USB cable to your Mac.

So you set the Mac to create a wifi network, then connect the iPhone via USB and turn on personal hotspot. Then connect the roku to your Mac created wifi. Once it's connected you can disconnect your phone and it'll happily plod along.

It's only during the initial setup the roku looks for the Internet.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
When it searches for wifi and try's to connect to a network part of the process is checking for an Internet connection at that point it'll come up with an error message. But you can trick it by tethering your iPhone with a USB cable to your Mac.

So you set the Mac to create a wifi network, then connect the iPhone via USB and turn on personal hotspot. Then connect the roku to your Mac created wifi. Once it's connected you can disconnect your phone and it'll happily plod along.

It's only during the initial setup the roku looks for the Internet.

What if I restart the Roku? Won't it try to look for an Internet connection again?

What if I disable that network in my iMac? When I create another one in the same computer using the same name, will the Roku just connect to it with no questions?

Finally, have you tried some of this, or are you hypothetically speaking?

Thanks!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
What if I restart the Roku? Won't it try to look for an Internet connection again?

What if I disable that network in my iMac? When I create another one in the same computer using the same name, will the Roku just connect to it with no questions?

Finally, have you tried some of this, or are you hypothetically speaking?

Thanks!
I lived in an area where the Internet was so slow loading macrumors would time out so I would tether my phone to my Mac and Mac a network from that. When I purchased a roku I noticed it required a connection on initial setup hence why I know it works.

Yes it'll reconnect providing the credentials are the same.

The roku can be restarted, powered off etc without an issue. It'll connect back to the network without an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.