Rolling Stone Magazine Controversial? Cover

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jul 17, 2013.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

RS is known for controversial covers, well, controversial to some. My twitter feed blew up last night over this. What say you?

[​IMG]

2. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The fact that Rolling Stone put Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, one of the Boston Marathon bombers on the cover. They shouldn't have done it in my opinion.

4. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

It has to do with his face being on the cover. Some are not too comfortable with having him there because they feel it raises a terror suspect to celebrity status.

I can somewhat see where those folks are coming from. If it was a hard news source (Time, NYT, etc) it would be one thing, but a rock magazine....eh not so much.

5. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

It seems like RS may or may not have a good story about the bomber and, like most magazines trying to steer attention to their main article, put it on the cover

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Boston Bomber can't help it if he's young and good looking.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I see nothing controversial or related to The Doors or Val Kilmer. They say it on their cover..."how a promising young man goes down the ****er".

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The main story is about the Boston Bomber, ergo, the Boston Bomber is on the cover. I don't see what the big deal is.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

So Patty Hearst, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, etc, should never be on the front page of the popular press? What next? Should we ban books written about them too?

If anything, I think it's important the entire country take a good hard look at why attractive, intelligent young men become radicalized. We can't do that if his face is relegated to the back pages. Facing radical Islam means facing those who commit the crimes. Period.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

This is nothing new. There is a long history of both famous and infamous people appearing on covers of publications. And with infamous people the intent is never to turn them into celebrities.

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't have a problem with newsworthy criminals being put on a magazine covers. However, I do have a problem with the fact that some notorious figures do get elevated to celebrity and even cult status.

I think that because Dzhokar Tsarnaev is young, good looking and has a kind of rebel/bad boy image that many people -- especially young people -- are actually starting to look up to him. Getting your picture on the cover of Rolling Stone greatly increases that status.

It's better to have freedom of the press though--so there isn't much to do about it.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Look up to a murderer who killed innocent people watching a race? What is your evidence or basis for this?

13. barkomatic, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

barkomatic macrumors 68040

Hey, I think its awful--but its true. He has his admirers:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/22/opinion/la-oe-allen-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-20130522

Just Google it. To a lesser extent, Charles Manson had his fanbase as well. I imagine this will subside for Dzhokhar once his trial is over and people forget about him in prison.

14. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm a huge fan of Marilyn Manson. I think you mean Charles Manson, which I am not a fan of ;)

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Oops! my bad. Yes, I meant Charles. :)

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I don't see a problem here and this is coming from someone who lives in the state these ****sticks decided to bomb.

We have this thing in this country called freedom of the press. The goals of terrorists like them is to force the people to give up freedoms like that so anyone who thinks Rolling Stone shouldn't be allowed to publish this is playing right into their goals.

People need to stop being over-sensitive and getting "outraged" on twitter over things they don't control and have no real effect on their life. Get a life.

Funny that people are outraged that his face on the cover now. Where was the outrage when every ****ing cable news station in this country had his picture plastered all over their airwaves for 2 solid weeks after the bombings? That's way worse than this imo.

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Sure its controversial.

What the heck happened to Val Kilmer?
    [​IMG]

19. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

So we have the Birthers, the Truethers and what do we call the people that think that this guy didn't do the bombings? The Naivers?

20. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Read the caption... What's so bad about having a biography of the Boston Bomber?

Best. Comment.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My thoughts exactly when I saw the OP's original post.

Excellent point and very nicely expressed; much US popular culture seems to come complete with the idea that the 'goodies' are clean cut good looking types, while the 'baddies' are suitably suspicious in appearance. Life is a little more nuanced than popular culture might have you believe.

Yes. I am at a loss to see what Val Kilmer and The Doors have to do with the original post; indeed, I confess that I don't understand what the controversy about the Val Kilmer cover is at all.

Re Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, if the cover story is a profile of the young man, why not place his picture on the cover? It is a salient news story, and, should be covered. Not only should coverage of this topic not be discouraged, in fact, attempts to analyse why it happened should be strongly encouraged instead.

Exactly.

Excellent post, and very, very well expressed arguments. This is exactly the reason why readers in the US ought to read such publications. It is imperative to try to understand why - yes, attractive, intelligent - young men become alienated and radicalised, and so removed from the norms of the host society that they think to act in this way. You cannot address radical Islam without facing those who commit the crimes, and without attempting to understand why they did what they did.

22. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

RS these days is more than just about music so it's not that shocking.

What do you all think about how much politics is infused into the magazine? Last year, you better bet many "non-political" magazines were running as much as they could on Mitt Romney. We are Americans and we want to know and if I read some interesting stuff about Mitt Romney before the 2012 election and it helped me make my decision then so be it, even from a music rag like RS.

http://assets.rollingstone.com/asse...x306/20120827-mitt-romney-x306-1346104394.jpg

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I just lump them all into the same group: ****ing morons.

24. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

This covers it nicely for me.^^^

It's not as if his face hasn't been plastered al over the place, and if there is a serious story contained within, I have no issue with it.

I also don't get the reference to the Jim Morrison cover...

25. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Could it be they used a picture that was painting him a light that is completely different than those images of him wearing the hat backwards and on the run from the law?

Me, I have no problem with this. There have been plenty of times figures such as this have been on the front of magazines and newspapers.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18u5btsnemm1ojpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

Comes to mind.