Rolling Stones deliver historic free concert in Cuba

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Mar 26, 2016.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

good job glad to see this happen.

http://bigstory.ap.org/urn:publicid:ap.org:305af54a89b74da2834b6bdf29fbc1f5

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

LOL, they probably forgot the real meaning of "Satisfaction", or became such ironic sell-outs that they're only going to hawk the veneer.

And I doubt they really went there for free, paid for the plane tickets, etc, out of pure altruism. I'll freely and unreservedly apologize when proven wrong. I freely admit my own cynicism that has cultivated over the decades as well, which is why I don't believe all of this is anything more than a stunt, expect "merch" to become available since people no longer have the attention span or work ethic to write "worthless, kitsch and tacky 'collectible' merchandise"...

3. FieldingMellish Suspended

"The week opened with the arrival of President Barack Obama in Air Force One, accompanied by more than 1,000 employees of a government that waged a cold war against Cuba for more than 50 years."

1,000 government employees? No wonder Obama stayed put regardless Brussels, in addition to the thrill up his leg being in a true communist environment. That's right up Obama's alley.

4. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

so those 1000 employees were in office 50 years ago?

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

I don't know, but I forgive the Stones. Shocked that Bruce didn't show up.

6. Robisan macrumors 6502

Outrage that the Stones weren't in concert for the people of Brussels in 3...2...1....

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm quite positive that the Rolling Stones, Inc. paid for the full cost of their Havana concert, including flights to and from the island; hotel rooms; wages; food and drink; etc. for the 500 or so people that make up their tour entourage. And I'm equally certain they didn't earn a dollar in ticket money; t-shirt sales; etc.

Pure altruism? Probably not, although Mick Jagger is smart enough to know the long-term economic value of doing good. You can look at this as the latest in a lifetime of shrewd business decisions on the part of Mick and the boys.

To begin with, this concert was the final leg on a huge South American tour for the Stones. One where the tickets were definitely not free. And where Stones t-shirts, CDs, bumperstickers and other associated march was on sale. So, if nothing else, the Stones can write off the cost of their Cuba concert from the hundred million or so they earned on the rest of the tour. Think of it as a unique tax-subsidized vacation in Veija Habana.

But more importantly, it was a masterstroke of the Stones epic ability to garner free publicity. Although in no way connected to President Obama's trip to Cuba, coming at the end of an historic week in Cuba's modern history, the concert neatly bookended a week the Cuban people - and world public and press opinion - will remember vividly. Its an striking example of how, even in relative old age, the Rolling Stones are still relevant as symbols of not just rock n' roll - but western civilization itself. Pretty impressive for a bunch of grand-dads.

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Me too. I can't stand the music, but, it may do to Cuban Communism what 50+ years of cold war didn't.