Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Feral Interactive has announced that the "full experience" of hugely popular war strategy game Rome: Total War will be coming to iPad this fall for the price of $9.99.

The third title in the Total War series, Rome has been hailed as "not only one of the best strategy games ever, but one of the best PC games, period", according to MacRumors sister site TouchArcade, and Feral is promising a port of the game to iPad "without compromise".

rome-total-war-800x610.jpg

In what's considered the highlight of the series, players get to take control of one of three Roman houses vying for control of the Republic/Empire. The turn-based strategy gameplay is punctuated by real-time battles in 3D, where players command and control huge swathes of units in the field.
ROME: Total War is a strategy game of epic scale, offering players a seamless integration of strategy and tactics to fight spectacular battles, while using diplomacy, subterfuge and assassination to pave the road to ultimate victory.
The game will require a first-generation iPad Air or newer, an iPad mini 2 or newer, or any iPad Pro. It also needs just under 4GB of free space to install.

An exact release date has yet to be confirmed, but you can learn more at Feral's mini-site for the game here.

Article Link: Rome: Total War Coming to iPad Air, iPad mini 2, iPad Pro This Fall for $9.99

Reactions: keysofanxiety

sp3k0psv3t

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Miami, FL
I like the ongoing convergence of games and apps for both computers and portable devices.

Raises the question more so of when will a single computational unit be introduced containing the best OS, portability/mobility, functionality, productivity, efficiency, price point, content consumption, applications and security.

The "convergence" as they say is coming; continue on...

iPads, touch enabled tablets, laptops, large-screen phones, and portability have all brought us closer, but much work remains.

Hoping for a bright future with the presence of a singular device meeting all my needs.

To the future and beyond!

USVet

Last edited:
Reactions: LERsince1991

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I personally prefer the Total War before this (Medieval Total War/Viking Invasion), but boy, what a game this is. I'm half tempted to buy an iPad just to play it.

vseera

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2011
Oh boy can I just say..I can't bloody wait to have my hands on it!!!

I really really hope they release it soon. Have been talking about this game on the TouchArcade forums as well and its surprising how few are talking about.

To me, this is one of the best games ever for PC. And to have it come on the iPad, so it's portable and I can take my battles everywhere, is just epic :)

Reactions: cbaca51

MacBAir

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2016
Portugal
What an awesome game, this is/was.

For me, it was by far the best TW game. It's a shame that Rome 2 was a buggy incomplete POS. Despite this game being probably my favorite ever, I'm now officially a Civ guy because the game is so great on every single metric, never gets old, and all you need is a mouse. Also because I have an HD3000, and Civ5 runs fine on my Air while let me enjoy the gameplay.

Also, the Civ series would be perfect on a 12.9 iPad Pro! Seriously. It is less about action with more in depth learning and strategy. It's like chess, with history books, with great UI and graphics, while trying to rule the world!

Don't you guys think that the Civ 4 and 5 would be perfect on an iPad?

Last edited:

vseera

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2011
What an awesome game, this is/was.

For me, it was by far the best TW game. It's a shame that Rome 2 was a buggy incomplete POS. Despite this game being probably my favorite ever, I'm now officially a Civ guy because the game is so great on every single metric, never gets old, and all you need is a mouse. Also because I have an HD3000, and Civ5 runs fine on my Air while let me enjoy the gameplay.

Also, the Civ series would be perfect on a 12.9 iPad Pro! Seriously. It is less about action with more in depth learning and strategy. It's like chess, with history books, with great UI and graphics, while trying to rule the world!

Don't you guys think that the Civ 4 and 5 would be perfect on an iPad?

There was the Civilization Revolution series of games on the iPad. You can check them out but it's a diluted but proper Civ experience.

I definitely prefer the TW series to Civ and would love for Medieval2 to come out next. That would literally keep me glued to my iPad for the next 5 years!

I agree that Rome 2 on launch was buggy, but try it now. They fixed all the problems and it's a pretty decent game.

MacBAir

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2016
Portugal
There was the Civilization Revolution series of games on the iPad. You can check them out but it's a diluted but proper Civ experience.

I definitely prefer the TW series to Civ and would love for Medieval2 to come out next. That would literally keep me glued to my iPad for the next 5 years!

I agree that Rome 2 on launch was buggy, but try it now. They fixed all the problems and it's a pretty decent game.
While I still think that a "perfect" total war game can be better than a "perfect" Civ game, because of the action and battles, I still think that the best, hypothetical iPad game has to be "Civ"-like. Controlling with your finger would be trivial, Graphics are gorgeous, and the game is so much more than that, can be so complex and worthy of learning it and mastering it...

Also, IAP for new civs, new expansions. It just makes way too much sense.

Also, the Civ as an app, as a game, is millions of years ahead of any modern buggy TW game.

vseera

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2011
I agree with almost all of what you said. However, please! No IAPs ever for games like these! Because once they start, we will be paying to make our nation churn gold at a faster rate, buy some unique units, buy diplomatic bonuses, etc.
And that would be the end of such games, at least for me!

To be honest, when I am playing lazily, I almost always use auto-battle on all TW battles. I prefer and enjoy the strategy aspect much more.

The only problem with Civ games is the campaign map and interface. Otherwise, I think I would quite enjoy the game dynamics. It just descends too much into micromanagement for every city and gets a bit too much.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
As long as there isn't incessant in-game app purchases, or me building something and waiting two days for it to finish. I just want to play immediately and have fun and I don't mind paying up front for a solid game.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
This looks really good. I'm sorry I won't get to try it out.

I haven't even charged my iPad 4 in over a year and there's no chance I'll buy another tablet. The iPad can be a fantastic gaming platform but for the past few years it's almost impossible to find any decent games in the mountains of iAP garbage and bad UIs that cry out for a hardware controller.

I did give Oz Broken Kingdoms a good shot after seeing it in the keynote. It's actually very sad. It had so much potential, and it's just unplayable garbage, either a tedious, horrible grind where you keep logging in for free resources or you feed it an endless stream of cash to keep progressing through without really playing anything.

Raises the question more so of when will a single computational unit be introduced containing the best OS, portability/mobility, functionality, productivity, efficiency, price point, content consumption, applications and security.

The "convergence" as they say is coming; continue on...

iPads, touch enabled tablets, laptops, large-screen phones, and portability have all brought us closer, but much work remains.

Hoping for a bright future with the presence of a singular device meeting all my needs.

To the future and beyond!

That convergence will happen when we're down to the last human on the planet. People will never agree on what they should give up for portability, and nor should they.

As I said, I have zero interest in a tablet, but they can take away my big screen gaming when they pry it from my cold dead hands. Different people have different wants. For portability, for me, the Razer Blades are gorgeous.

Unless you think there will be a day when the best available 1 pound, 10 watt tablet gives you the same experience is the best available 40 pound, 1000 watt desktop. On a 65+ inch 4k (or maybe 8k by then) screen.

TL;DR - that convergence will never happen, and that's a good thing. And I'm not sure why you'd want it to happen.

Saipher

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2014
California
This game should be released for Apple TV! I would love to play that on a big screen (without needing AirPlay). Hopefully we should start seeing more complex games being release for Apple TV once the 5th one comes out. Multiplayer support on the same TV would be awesome too! As Apple's A Series processors become more power, it's just a matter of time before we start seeing console quality games at the App Store. Apple TV would be the perfect device to deliver such content to out TVs.

Last edited:
Reactions: ErikGrim

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I may actually buy this. I played the original title way back in the day and thought it was very good. But more importantly, this is another sign that standalone consoles will continue on, but more of a niche device. being able to play full games on an ipad and eventually on the ATV will slowly overtake consoles in my view.

vseera

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2011
Honestly, if it has IAP, I won't even install it. Otherwise they can charge me $30 for it on day one and I shall be a happy camper!

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
Clearly the best game would be the Civ turn based part with TW style battles.

Don't wait. Make this happen and reap the rewards. :D

War for children's entertainment. Wonderful culture

The Warrior archetype is hard wired into the human psyche and manifests itself in all cultures per Carl Jung and other researchers. It's not just about war. It's about overcoming obstacles in your life courageously and games like this can provide inspiration for doing that.

Reactions: Telos101

sp3k0psv3t

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Miami, FL
... convergence will never happen, and that's a good thing. And I'm not sure why you'd want it to happen.

Well I didn't say I think it's something that I am personally interested in, and not something in particular that I may even use. Different strokes for different folks is always gonna be an important component of any tech expansion. And obviously, there is never going to be a "perfect device" that will be able to everything as equal to the individual components that specialize in one area. But the harder they work on trying to make that device the more the separate devices will ALL benefit from the technological advancements. For example, the Apple Pencil technology they developed for the Pro is now being implemented in the smaller 9.7" and possibly even the Mini next year. To me a Mini that is capable of using the Pencil if the owners chooses so is a better device then one that cannot use it since the option is at least there. Artists may want a separate drawing tablet because it is a better experience for drawing electronically but it will be a nice option for students, note takers, etc.

I don't use touch screen laptops but maybe the technology behind that use case can be used in advancing other tablet tech in some capacity. That is what I meant when I said that continual ongoing convergence is important to the future development of future products and software.

This is what I want convergence to continue to happen and this is why I think convergence is important in our future.

I do not believe a "singular product" as such is the convergence answer or in the cards as a one-take-all breakthrough product that needs to be developed, but I do believe the technology gleaned from the pursuit of this "pipe dream" is of the utmost importance.

USVet

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Since it requires A7 devices and up, I wonder if they are using Metal? The extra CPU power Metal frees up should be useful for a strategy game.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Wish Microsoft would release a version of Age of Empires 2 or 3 (even 1) for iOS. A real port, not that crap that's called 'Castle Siege'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.