Romney 2016 (3.0)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Has there even been a second sequel that's been better than the first flick? As Christopher Nolan said:

And so, for those who couldn't get enough:

Those who know, know this isn't a surprise. Just over a week ago:

Money talks. Rand Paul walks. Third time lucky or the crappiest idea possible?

2. zin macrumors 6502

Give me Romney over any of the other possible Republican candidates for 2016.

2014 Republicans make 2012 Romney look like a communist revolutionary.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Candidates who've lost a previous presidential campaign and were later elected president ...

1804 to present

1824 John Quincy Adams
    1892 Grover Cleveland
    1968 Richard Nixon

4. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Interesting. Still, he only won 206 electoral votes last time around.

If someone could point out where he, or any other Republican candidate can reach 270 electoral votes, then they could potentially make a small fortune as someone's campaign manager.

5. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Ill drink to that.

6. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

The man is weak out of touch, bad view points, bad everything.

Don't see it.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The last challenger to be nominated twice in a row was Adlai Stevenson III. Just prior to that was Thomas E. Dewey. Since then, only Nixon has managed to get a second chance – that sure worked out well. (Though, by today's standards, Tricky Dick was to the left of just about everyone, save Bernie Sanders, and perhaps Al Franken.)

8. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Crappiest idea. I really hope Rand will run. All the right leaning peeps I know are always talking about Rand Paul.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Polls this early have far more to do with name recognition than anything else. I don't think it is likely that he will be able to get the nomination again if he even runs, but if you have enough far right wingers to split the tea party vote and no other "moderates" running in the primary he just might be able to pull it off by winning enough delegates in each state.

What the GOP really needs if they want to be able to get a president elected is to find someone that can actually lead instead of just saying no to everything the Democrats want to do. That strategy can work if you are in the opposition, but not if you are trying to run a government.

----------

I'm sure he will run, and he will do a bit better than his dad, but he has very little chance at the nomination let alone winning the whole thing.

10. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I doubt Romney is running again.

I know people that went to his Park City event and he wasn't showing much in terms of considering running. It was more mixing to contenders with money makers.

11. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Rand's viewpoints are to extreme for the Average American, he has no chance.

12. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

We'll lets see how it goes. If Rand runs and Ron supports him, a lot of the younger generation voters will look into him.

13. G51989, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

That is the same words uttered years ago by Ron Paul Supports, it never happened.

Rand Paul is borderline Fascist when it comes to personal rights.

14. Southern Dad, Jun 21, 2014

Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You missed Andrew Jackson who carried more states than John Quincy Adams, had more popular votes, more electoral votes but the election was thrown to the House and John Q Adams got it. He won in 1828.

Let's get them all...

• 1789 John Adams lost but won in 1798 (election was from 1788 - 1789)
    • 1792 and 1796 Thomas Jefferson lost but won in 1800 (election was decided by the House - it was a tie)
    • 1820 John Q Adams lost but won in 1824 (election decided by the House - Andrew Jackson had more electoral votes, carried more states and won the popular vote)
    • 1824 Andrew Jackson lost but won in 1828
    • 1836 William Henry Harrison lost but won in 1840
    • 1888 Stephen Grover Cleveland lost but won in 1892
    • 1960 Richard M Nixon lost but won in 1972

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well, it may be that they looked into him and didn't like the social conservative they found

16. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Maybe you are correct, but the Democrats have so much to overcome this time around.

17. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

No more than the republicans, both parties have bad Canidates.

The republicans also have the fact that the worst president of the past 100 years ran as a Republican, Bush 2.0.

18. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

That is definitely just an opinion. I was not a huge W fan, but IMO our current Pres. has him easily beat in the worst president category. Was ready for him (GWB) to go, but after 6 years would take him back in a second.

19. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

When did Obama? Who by the way I am not a fan of, cause a massive recession, and start two meaningless multi trillion dollar wars?

I know the idea of affordable healthcare is evil to the right. But its not as bad as Iraq, and Afghanistan, thousands of dead Americans, trillions put into the coffers of defense companies.

And yes, that is what those wars were about, stuffing Defense companies coffers with Taxpayer money, Osama Bin laden was in neither country.

20. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

There are many arguments both ways on the recession. The war was bipartisan, and we see how Obama has handled Iraq and Afghanistan since he has been in office. As far as the ACA....the word Affordable should be taken as we have seen thus far.

Issues with Obama:
    1. Failures in the middle east.
    2. 5-1 Gitmo trade.
    3. ACA - Cost increases, Lies, etc.
    4. IRS (he might or might not be involved but will probably cause issues in 2014 for the Dems)
    5. Passing on the keystone pipeline.
    6. Doing nothing to help Texas with the current Illegal immigration issues.
    7. Unwillingness to compromise.
    8. US Standing in the world. The term "Leading from Behind" has become the newest mantra.
    9. How he has handled Putin.
    10. He actually created much more debt (by far) then GWB.
    11. Increased the percentage of Americans dependent on the government.
    12. Bail outs
    13. Alienating and isolating Israel.
    14. US credit rating.
    15. Cash for Clunkers
    16. Does he even know how to tell the truth?
    17. “spread the wealth around.” - Since when did the US become a communist country?
    18. “you didn’t build that” - Response to small businesses.
    19. VA health care.

I know to the Obama faithful much of this list was caused by Bush. I just hope our next president...Democrat or Republican....will be better then we have had the last 16 years (including Obama's next 2 unless he improves greatly).

Actually, I might put Carter below Obama. Only difference is I think Carter meant well.

21. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Going to need some sources for this one.

----------

So you actually believe Obama hates 'Murica and had bad intentions for the country?

22. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

I believe Obama had his ACA passed and feels his job is done. I don't think he hates America though.

23. tshrimp, Jun 21, 2014

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

1. You sure you just want one?

"Women face rate hikes in 82% of U.S. counties; men 91%"

2. The infamous putting words in someones mouth. Not even sure where this 'Murica is though, so maybe he doesn't like it...I wouldn't know :)

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think he just disqualified himself from winning any primaries.

http://www.newsweek.com/rand-paul-defends-obama-against-dick-cheney-255788

25. Felasco Guest

Romney's heart wasn't in it the last time, I seriously doubt he can get it up again.