Romney admits he was "completely wrong."

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Oct 5, 2012.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yeah, I read the headline and thought he was admitting to wildly distorting his positions on Social Security, the uninsured and his tax plan, but turns out it was only about his 47% comment. Oh well, it's a start, and as with all big things (like honesty), you have to start somewhere. Baby steps Mittens, baby steps.

2. vega07 macrumors 65816

I think it's too late to apologize. He had the perfect chance at the panic press conference.

I don't believe him one bit.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Considering he changes his positions on everything else when it's politically unpopular I don't really believe him. If he had some sort of morals and actually stood up for something he believed in that wasn't popular even once in his life then I'd have more respect for him and might believe him here.

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Yes and Obama has never flip-flopped on annnnything.

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Sure he has, but Romney has been shameless in telling people what they want to hear. For his entire campaign he's been talking about gutting medicare, then all of a sudden he realized it was going to lose him a lot of votes and he changes his stance at the debate and says that he will keep traditional medicare available. Mitt Romney is a clown, he doesn't even attempt to appear genuine. He sounded so scripted.

6. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I completely agree with you.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Links?

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Of course he has, all politicians and people do it, the difference is there are at least some things he has stood up for. When you have some sort of values that you stand up for then it's a lot easier to believe you when you say that you've changed your mind on something else. It's not good to change your mind on everything like Romney does, but at the same time you shouldn't be incapable of changing your mind when you learn new facts.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well my reaction to Romney on this point is simply 'd'uh'. I still want the t-shirt.

[​IMG]

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

He seriously expects us to believe that "it just didn't come out right"? When he thought he was speaking in private to a group of supporters who paid $50,000 a seat to participate?

are people really this stupid?

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Are you referring to gay marriage? If so, then I truly believe that when Obama took office, he was convinced that gays had a right to serve their country and that DADT needed to go. However, I also believe that he had misgivings about gay marriage and that he was ultimately convinced that his misgivings were wrong.

It's one thing to be an elected state official or a law professor or a community activist. It's something else entirely to be the POTUS. A position whose goal is to serve ALL of the US, not just a vocal religious minority.

For the most part, I believe Romney is saying whatever he thinks he needs to in order to be elected but if he were to become Prez, he would instantly become more centrist. That's why I can't support him and I think people who do, are extremely hypocritical. Obama is and always has been a centrist. There's nothing in his history to suggest otherwise. Romney is pure hypocrite from his very roots to today.

12. samiwas macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

Original. Congrats!

13. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

IMO about the only thing this far belated apology might do is provide him an excuse if Obama brings it up during one of their next debates.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I hope Obama does bring it up at the next debate.

Then Romney can apologize in real-time to the 58 million people watching that night too, and not somewhere less 'public'. ;)

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not only is it too late to apologize for that remark, no matter what Romney would say most people would understand that that comment was something that came from the heart, that was something he believed in and felt comfortable expressing behind closed doors. There's really no way to take back something like that.

Really? I mean...really?? :rolleyes:

16. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Edk99= Member of resident Romney Apologist Club. ;)

This is more than flip-flopping as in changing your mind. This is calculated flip-flopping, manipulation in an attempt to control an outcome. We are never going to know what Romney really thinks until he is elected and actually makes a decision. He is such a blatant panderer, I don't have confidence in him to make decisions I'll approve of.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Romney has shown time and again that he doesn't care what position he has to abandon, this man has an unusual drive to get into the White House by any means necessary.

I fear that if he does get in he's going to be just like Bush II. By that I mean a figurehead that delivers speeches while being enough of a bumbling fool that he keeps the media chuckling...while his administration (literally most of the same Bush II people, and energy plans) continues to dismantle the US Government.

18. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

It's a hollow, token apology with no real meaning behind it.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It might have helped him if he did it right after the tape went public. Certainly it's meaningless after spending the last 2 weeks defending the comments.

20. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Oh it has a very specific meaning behind it: "I realize what I said is hurting me in the polls, so please try to forget about it".

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No. he didn't need convincing. His actions (and previous remarks even), indicated that he was always in favor of equality. He just didn't think people were ready to hear it yet so he floated the ridiculous "evolving" comment. It was pandering, and it was a manufactured flip flop. However it pales in comparison to Romney's large number of flip flops on well..most anything it seems. Sometimes even in the same day. To listen to him long enough is to realize that you have no idea what he actually believes, what he will do in the future, and that he is nothing more then an empty suit saying anything for your vote.

Member? I think he is President of that club. :D

22. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Is it really true that 47% of Americans don't pay taxes?

23. APlotdevice, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

No. About 47% do not pay income tax. Yet many of those people still pay payroll tax, property tax, and of course sales tax.

Also those who do not pay income tax are mostly retirees, military personnel, and the poor.

24. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Love that shirt.:D

I do think that he is way to late with explanations, you have to get you message right the first time, and if you have to retract then within a 24hr window.