Romney bullied gay students in prep school

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by barkomatic, May 10, 2012.

1. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If anyone has any doubt about how Mitt Romney regards gay people, they need look no further:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/mitt-romneys-prep-school-classmates-recall-pranks-but-also-troubling-incidents/2012/05/10/gIQA3WOKFU_story.html

This article is quite long, but among other things Romney bullied a student perceived to be gay as well as others who were different. My apologies if this has already been mentioned in another thread.

Nice to know the Republican party is lead by a thug.

2. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

"This guy was bad in school, he's not fit to be a politician!" :rolleyes:

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, it's obvious that he bows pretty much to peer pressure, whether in prep school, business or politics.

4. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

You combine this account with other things he's said recently, and I don't think he's changed a bit in this regard. He's not dumb enough to act this way now, but he would if it were still socially acceptable. Of course he'll come out and say he is sorry, he was just a kid etc etc. However, compared to Obama he doesn't look very tolerant.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Apparently, the Romney campaign thought is was worth an unscheduled appearance on some FOX talking head's radio program and then called for his old classmates to come out and speak of his time in school.

Of course Romney claimed to not remember the incident but was sure it wasn't because the guy was gay. Reminiscent of his debate lie when he said he hadn't seen his PACs TV ads and then described them a few minutes later.

He lies about everything with impunity. This man isn't fit for the White House.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Or it reflects on his character, which most people never change:rolleyes:

Not surprised. It's consistent with his record

7. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Everyone does stupid **** as kids, that's true for every single person on this forum. Not that the behaviour was okay, but it doesn't necessarily make him a bad politician is all.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Really? Everyone bashes gays as a kid and cuts their hair off? That's normal kids being kids. Give me a ****ing break. And he was 18 when this happened.

Adds a lot of credence to all those who have gone on record as saying he has a mean streak in him. The last thing we need in the White House is another unthinking puppet with a mean streak who surrounds himself with neocons.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

All politicians are self-serving, no matter who. Even Obama.

But this guy adds a vicious element, and you would not want him to be in charge of your country.

He's just unpredictable enough to tell his 'control' to ****-off and do what he demands.

Not a good scenario.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Right...

I never bullied anyone. Alot here haven't either

There is one thing in stupid activities and those that aren't stupid, but menacing and reflects one's true nature

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Those kinds of people usually end up screwing up their lives and the lives of people around them too.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Sorry but he is well pass the age that would know right from wrong. I have noticed people who did crap like that when over the age of 16-17 tend to still be jerks and bullies as adults.
    Coming from a kid who was bullied at that age and watch how those people changed. The bullies never changed.

Safe to say of he could get away with it now he would still do it. It speaks volumes how a person is by looking at how they behaved in high school.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Doing stupid **** as kids =/= gay bashing and abusing other children.

Not even close to being the same thing.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Did you read the article?

15. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

Big surprise, a liberal newspaper with a hit piece on Romney. :rolleyes:

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Big surprise, you didn't read the article. It wasn't a hit piece. Most of it was pretty complimentary.

17. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Mitt would have been 18 at the time. I don't know about the rest of you, but I did a few things when I was 18 (and 19, and 20, and hell, probably straight through until 25) that I'm not proud of.

I'm not saying that to defend Romney.

The ****** things he's said and done since then are of much greater importance. We don't need mud from over 40 years ago to know what he's made of.

18. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

I heard that he has strapped a Gayette to the roof of his car and drove with it across the country... :rolleyes:

19. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Funny how Dems still sing praise for Bill Clinton when countless women have reported being diddled or worse by him against their will (recall the lip biting and flashing incidents). I sure they can see it in their hearts to overlook this little thing. :rolleyes:

20. vega07, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012

vega07 macrumors 65816

It really annoys me when people bring up this kind of argument. Just like when people brought up Bill Maher during the Limbaugh debacle.

1) These arguments DON'T add to the conversation. They just distract and unnecessarily prolong the discussion (e.g. NPR interviewed two women, one Democratic and one Republican, to discuss Limbaugh and they both beat this formula to death, talking on and on and on...).
    2) Why talk about Bill Clinton when the topic is Romney?
    3) Many of us do not give easy passes to Clinton or Maher.
    4) It sounds SO FREAKIN' CHILDISH! "But, but...he did this!!!" :rolleyes:

This formula ALWAYS appears in every Republican/Democratic discussion. I hope I'm not the only person that gets extremely annoyed at this.

21. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I think I hit a nerve.

22. vega07 macrumors 65816

LOL! Nah...you almost did.

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

No you dropped into the standard crap argument. The LOOK LOOK he did it to.

That is not and never will be an acceptable argument. Things like this behavior from Romney is more of a factor because it is yet another example of pattern of behavior from him over his entire life.

24. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Seems Obama admitted to using cocaine and other drugs, looking for brawls while drunk, and shoving a girl in his book Dreams of my Father. Not too commendatory.

25. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

There are also whispers that President Kennedy may have been unfaithful to his wife as....

What, again, was your point?