Romney campaign: lying is okay

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I actually started talking about this in the Burn Everything thread as another example of Mitt Romney's sliminess, but in an ironic turn, that thread stubbornly refuses to deviate from the original topic. :p

So...

Mr. Greg Sargent, the article's author, expresses exactly the point I am appalled by:

Romney (and Rick Perry as well) seem to be plumbing a new low in lying. Caught in a lie (deliberately misrepresenting Obama's words), they are now taking the attitude, "We know it's a lie, we admit we took it out of context -- but he actually said those words, so our lie is fair game." They know, of course, that there are enough stupid voters out there who will believe the lie.

This goes beyond even the swiftboating of John Kerry (which was itself a new low). At least those people, when they told a lie, boldly stuck to the lie and insisted it was plausible. Romney & co. are now admitting they are lying and insisting it's okay. :mad:

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's really quite pathetic that the Romney camp has now resorted to blatent lies in their ads. There are plenty of quotes they could have used that Obama said about himself rather then taking something he said about someone else out of context.

I hope that this decision continues to come back and bite him in the ass, because it should. It's dishonest and misleading to the American voters. Not exactly the qualities you want in a President. It makes me think, what else is he lying about?

3. ender land macrumors 6502a

Taking statements out of context has been all the rage in politics for years.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Gosh, a politician doing scummy, lying, unethical crap. And then justifying it with some twisted, tortured logic.

Will wonders never cease. Why, if this happens again, I might lose respect for politicians.

Who knows, I might even become cynical about politicians.

Nah, it will never happen again. I'm sure it was just an honest mistake. Yeah, just an honest mistake.

No cynicism for me. Nope.

:mad::(

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Atta boy, keep your eye on the prize, and take no prisoners. :cool:

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

^ That's the video they referred to in the quote in post #1, obviously. :p

I'm thinking maybe the Obama campaign should go that route, as long as they include the graphic at the end. It'd make Romney a laughing stock, and serve him right.

Thanks for finding that.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Are you serious? Those are obviously all out of context quotes. But maybe that was your point. :)

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You didn't read the first post about what Romney did, did you?

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Seriously? :rolleyes:

12. thefnshow macrumors regular

7/8 of the ad is correct and one line is not and you guys are crying foul....how many times has obama lied ?...my favorite one is about the do nothing congress...would the be house who actually passed a budget and about 18 different jobs bills or the senate who hasn't passed a budget and tables every bill coming from the house?

13. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Do you really wanna go there? Okay.

"He promised he would fix the economy. He failed." So many ways to go with this. He never promised this was going to be easy or short-term. He tried and was blocked by Congress. And so on.

"Greatest jobs crisis since the Great Depression." As if that's his fault.

"Record home foreclosures." Ditto.

"Record national debt." Yeah, those Iraq and Afghan wars he started, and those Bush tax cuts that were all his idea, cost a bundle.

"'Obamacare'...is killing jobs." Where?​

As for the do-nothing Congress, that's why its popularity is in the toilet. As the saying goes, people get the kind of government they deserve.

David Letterman had it right. He said that, as usual at this time of year, President Obama is preparing to pardon a Thanksgiving turkey...

...and Republicans in Congress are trying to block it.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

As usual, you've missed the salient point. The question is, should political ads take quotes out of context and re-edit them into a new, false narrative?

The Romney ad by Think Progress illustrates how a candidate's words can be re-edited to tell a completely opposite narrative. What Think Progress did was obvious and sloppy, but think of how subtle such an ad could be.

Forget the partisanship for a minute and think, do you want candidates and political ads to be about special effects, or do you you want a truthful argument to be presented?

If you want the former, then let's get Michael Bay and Robert Zemeckis direct political ads. Autobots can talk about the importance of drilling for oil; a naked and reptilian Angelina Jolie can argue for cuts in defense spending.

15. thefnshow macrumors regular

so you're going to throw out the rest of the message because of one line ? if it were a democrat's ad you'd say oh it's only one line...and it's going to be tame compared to the garbage that obama is going to pull in his ads

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This has to be the worst 3 attempts to defend the indefensible I've ever seen.

17. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah. He'll probably pull the nasty trick of quoting his opponents in context.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yes, of course, we are because the message hangs on that line to give it any power, without that it's just a grab-bag of cliches.

If a Democrat did this, I'd shake my head and fulminate, but you'd be flipping your lid (I say this since we can apparently know what each of us would do in a hypothetical scenario).

And, lastly, I know that political ads are ******** and slight of hand, but Romney has done something nasty and rather than calling him on it, conservatives are applauding because he's their guy, which just tells us that the moral strictures are entirely based on circumstances.

In shorter and fewer words, it's a dirty trick.

19. thefnshow macrumors regular

no less than using the race card,blaming his predecessor for everything and never blaming his own party for their part of the problem,...obama doesn't walk on water...he would use the same tactics even if romney didn't do it first

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The 'race card' is a rhetorical attempt to dismiss both real and imagined racism with a little hand waving, then we've got an obvious straw man argument (unless I'm unaware that Obama has at one time been a monitor lizard), and finally, you go back to the obviously flawed argument of preemptive dishonesty.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

22. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's great. Especially since quite a few of the commentators were from Fox "News".

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Calvin Triilin said best in his epic ode

Yes, Mitt's so slick of speech and slick of garb, he
    Reminds us all of Ken, of Ken and Barbie -
    So quick to shed his moderate regalia,
    He may, like Ken, be lacking genitalia.

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

A country can only have as much integrity as it's leadership has. The top Republican contenders including the Grinch have no integrity. Someone else needs to lead.

25. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

[Sic]

That's because Romney knows it's his ONLY chance in the general election. (I'm assuming he wins the nomination by outlasting the others.)