Romney campaigner Pat Robertson says no divorce - beat your wife instead

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Sep 10, 2012.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You can't divorce your wife because of scripture, but bible doesn't have anything against giving her an old fashioned beating.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/pat-robertson-condone-wife-beating-saudi-arabia

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Keep it up Mitt.

Cozy up to religious fanatics and baptize a few more dead folk.

Let Americans know what's in store for them if they're nuts enough to elect you.

4. Peace, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The Bible doesn't say you can't divorce your wife.

It does say if you do it because your wife has committed adultery you can "send her away".

If you do it for any other reason it is a sin.

There is no "law" about divorce.

I could actually babble about "the law" in the bible but it would be boring.

Jesus does say if you live by the law you will be judged by the law.

All men have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

just a fyi

;)

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Even though the typical Robertson quotes do not necessarily represent the majority of his talking time, I still cannot understand how he has any remaining supporters. The guy uses hatred to manipulate potentially stupid people. I really wish that society would ignore him completely outside of basic transactions necessary to his existence. The guy just offers mental pollution.

6. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

7. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Shhhhhh. Keep it down. Someone might bring up Jeremiah Wright.

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Basically. And your beloved Romney has no problem associating himself with this person. Keep that in mind this November. As the days go by, the more ridiculous Romney looks. He's not fit to represent this country.

9. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

No that wouldn't make sense. Obama wouldn't cozy up to crazy left wing America hating radical.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Did Obama ever use that guy to support his campaign? You're comparing a personal acquaintance, although I doubt Romney (or any other politician) actually wanted to deal with Pat Robertson.

11. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

His love and hate sways with the wind.

;)

13. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

or when his meds are not working.

14. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

It's obviously silly, though I think it's being spun a little bit too much to make out the "beat her" comment as being said seriously (not unlike how the Obama iPhone issue is being spun). It's obviously in jest, though not as funny as he thought it would be. What's more troubling is the casual reference to how she needs to submit to authority, as though the husband was somehow above her in the marriage.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

To be fair the New Testament does tell the wife to be submissive to their husband . Most people forget it also tells husbands to be submissive to their wife.

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

He hates Dems worse. Or maybe it's his hatred of Obama himself that overrides the Mormon hate.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You hit the nail on the head.

18. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Personal acquaintance?

Self professed Spiritual Advisor.

You can't distance Obama from Wright. They are joined at the hip.

19. leekohler, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OK then, explain Pat Robertson. Obama denounced Wright. Do you expect Romney to do the same with Robertson? Or do you think beating your wife is acceptable?

I pretty much know your answer. And I know what you're going through- the world is leaving you behind. Your hatred for certain people is no longer acceptable, and it's tough for you to deal with. Your ways have become ancient, antiquated- and you can't adjust. It must be hard to watch your old ways driven into the dust where they belong.

20. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Oh Pat Robertson is worse than any religious fanatic. He is a con-artist. A man who has made countless millions preying on not only the gullible but also the desperate.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

(Looks at the calendar. Yep, it's the 21st century.)

Pat Robertson is still around??

22. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Obama denounced Wright after spending more than a decade getting all of his personal, religious advice from him. He and his wife both defended Wright for months before finally caving in to the political pressure to distance themselves.

The fact that you can't see the truth in these actions is really quite telling... You really live in a fantasy world completely controlled by your party.

I will choose to ignore your personal attack.

23. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Pot, kettle, black.

I'm so sick of this mud fight - neither party is flawless. But you have to admit that sometimes members of the Republican party can go a little overboard on the religious morality, something that has no place in a multicultural society, especially for a politician.

24. k995 macrumors 6502a

Dont really care, people can vote for whoever they want even idiots like this.

What bothers me more is the drive in the republican party to try and create as many rules to stop people voting whenever they think they can stop more democrats then republicans. That basicly undermining the whole democratic proces for some small increase in votes, and shows just how rotten the republican party has gotten.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

While, "you really live in a fantasy world completely controlled by your party," is just a bit of friendly advice.

:rolleyes: