Romney doubles-down on gay marriage policy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by hulugu, Dec 12, 2011.

1. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

During a pit-stop in his campaigning through New Hampshire, former-governor Mitt Romney had an awkward moment after sitting next to 63-year-old Bob Garon.

From the article:

After the exchange, interrupted by one of Romney's handlers, Garon said "Good luck. You're going to need it."

Link to video.

I think this is interesting for two reasons: one Romney has apparently picked a position, and two, this will be far more effective an argument for gay marriage than what happened to Bachmann a week earlier.

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Pwned! :D

When will the US catch up? Even our Conservative party, who supported civil partnerships 6 years ago, have pledged to introduce proper gay marriage by the end of the current parliament. The Conservatives! :eek:

3. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Text doesn't match what I saw in the video.

I think he stuck to his view on the topic and stayed pretty cool

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

And that speaks volumes of the GOP since Romney is their most electable and more left person they are putting up and that where he stands.

5. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

He was stead fast on his opinion and his answer. He didn't miss a beat. He answered the man's question.

The text isn't even remotely accurate to the video.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

See, his strategy of trying to float above the field as the inevitable nominee, the anointed one, is failing. Now he's pulled to the right, scrapping for the hearts and minds of the mouth-breathers and religious fools, giving sure ammunition for the Obama campaign.

Watched the last GOP debate the other night. So much pure baloney and hackery compressed into such a tiny space, I'm surprised the universe didn't collapse in on itself.

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

You're only saying that because he awkwardly stammered through a repetition of the canned answer you want to hear. The first time he was confident and clear because the thought he was reassuring yet another bigoted old man. You could see him begin to sweat about thirty seconds in when he realized it wasn't going according to script. He looks nervous, and his brow furrows more and more deeply as the guy continues.

At about forty seconds you can see him stop being able to look directly at the guy. He tries, but fails over and over. On the upside, this is a fair sign that he isn't a sociopath, something I don't think you can say about most current GOP candidates. But socially speaking, he has utterly lost control. In conversation, typically the dominant party looks at his partner when speaking, and looks away when listening. The subordinate party attends when listening, and looks away when speaking. Romney surrendered the superior position in that exchange the moment he realized he'd been caught out pandering with the wrong message.

That, of course, is the downside. He's willing to sell out to a position he knows is wrong on the theory that hateful idiots are a majority in his party. He's probably right, but it's still shameful and cowardly.

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Reminds me of these forums. :rolleyes:

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Then stop whining and stop participating. I mean, someone who believes in demonic possession has nothing to learn about the world, right?

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think the OP was referring to his previous, shall we say, ambiguous positions on gay marriage/civil unions.

Didn't miss a beat, huh? Yeah, "I think at the time the Constituti*on was written it was pretty clear that marriage is between a man and a woman" was a great point. Slavery was also legal and we counted them as 3/5 of a person.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

He repeated the same phrase quite a lot in the video. He did stick to his position on it. With a lot of these guys I wonder how much is pandering to their political base as opposed to what they personally believe. Given the diametrically opposed grouping of politicians, so many of these guys sort of adopt the common view of their political party. Just my thoughts on the matter...

I should add that I disagree with him on it. I was more interested in his behavior in the video than the obviously Republicanized message.

12. hulugu thread starter macrumors 68000

hulugu

I agree with your reading of the event. Romney is expecting the old man to agree with him—the old guy with a veteran cap and flannel shirt is gay, wurt?—*and once Romney figures it out, he starts to stumble.

He does stick to his position, ultimately, and he knows that he's in trouble with this guy and it's then that a handler pulls the loud handle and gets him out of there.

I think I've been fair to you, I expect the same in return.

The Constitution argument is odd. Romney seems to be arguing that since gay marriage wasn't a factor, the Founding Fathers didn't see fit to excise it by law.

Of course, you're correct, we've strayed away from the original set of ideals and compromises that encompass the Constitution, but to argue that the founders missed something seems to miss the point that we've changed as a irrevocably as a country.

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Considering that it was Romney himself who opened the door to same gender marriages in the U.S., it's funny how he can say that he thinks marriage is between a man and a women with a straight face. He didn't think that when he was running the state of MA! lol

And really, all this carping about what someone thinks about marriage...please. It's no one's business but the two people getting hitched. That's where it should start, and that's where it should end. Other people's outsider opinions are irrelevant. Don't like gay marriages? Then don't have one! Simple.

14. dime21 macrumors 6502

True. But that doesn't stop these left-wing groups from twisting it and distorting it to fall in line with their agenda.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What agenda? oh yeah, equal rights. What a terrible agenda. :rolleyes:

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

you mean those same left-wing groups who said it was okay for Blacks to marry Whites? or those that brought civil rights to this country?

Really hate that agenda.. :rolleyes:

BL.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Go back to my era, Woman's Suffrage. ;) :D

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Touche!

I would go back to Slavery, but back then, the Reds were so far left, they were Blue, and wore as such during the Civil War.

But I guess we should digress.. dime21's right-wing group went so far to the left when they freed the slaves that he would be riled up against that too..

BL.